Diesels

Hmmmmmmm this sounds very stressful, WTF is going to happen to the vintage/collectors cars? Do they get scraped!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I know this electric malarkey is getting forced on us but just can’t see it working, there are a lot of people out there that own some very expensive sort after collectors cars?????

I don't think anybody will be forced to sell their vintage cars, although petrol might be a lot more expensive in 50 years ... although supply and demand ... might be cheaper!

Sponsored Links
Agree nobody’s forced to do anything, just priced out of what we like...
Everyone is priced out of expensive collectors cars. :whistle:

The existing 40 year exemptions will probably keep going. There's no point trying to ban them, they don't cause enough of a problem environmentally as there's so few and they do so few miles. Plus they're interesting.

Petrol might be cheap in the future when everybody is driving electric cars.
Extortionate eventually, because the amount they sell will be so small there'll be no economies of scale. And there'll only be four petrol stations in the UK.

Maybe classic car owners could group together to save and run a UK refinery? Might be possible!

Due to the way diesel and petrol is made there
Extortionate eventually, because the amount they sell will be so small there'll be no economies of scale. And there'll only be four petrol stations in the UK.

Its not quite that simple due to how petrol is made, the production is pegged to stuff cooler in the fraction like butane etc.

Hmmmmmmm this sounds very stressful, WTF is going to happen to the vintage/collectors cars? Do they get scraped!!!!!

They sit in the garages of rich old men. On most days they use not a drop of fuel.

Some don't use diesel or petrol
stanley steamer.jpg

Seen waiting to cross the Welshpool to Llanfair railway which is also steam, and yes there is a problem with fuel, it seems coal goes off once out of the ground, and the one remaining steam coal mine supplies one power station, when the power station closes so will the mine, even all the steam railways together don't use enough coal to keep it open.

There have been experiments to run steam trains on oil, mainly due to bank side fires, but expensive to run.

s-l96.jpg
I suppose we will get fuel in local chemist as they did at the start, can shown was for sale at £250 empty so what will it cost full? But diesel is 35 sec gas oil, and is used for so much can't see that going, it may be the government will have to stop collecting tax on it. Petrol can be made in many ways, originally a paraffin, and two paraffins mixed together cetane and octane, CnH2n+2 I seem to remember from collage days, a variable compression ratio engine was calibrated using the two fuels then test fuel put in same engine and down to pre-ignition or pinking.

As it stands some unsafe practices are being allowed to promote electric cars, use of TN-C-S (PME) supplies is a problem and the safe touch voltage has been risen from 50 to 70 volt to allow EV charge points to be installed, the fire risk is also being swept under the carpet, it is a repeat of the diesel scenario where governments went flat out to promote diesel then realised an error.

I know my house only has a 60 amp supply, without oil fired central heating and diesel cars the supply likely needs to double to most houses. Can't see that happening in a hurry.

Seen waiting to cross the Welshpool to Llanfair railway which is also steam, and yes there is a problem with fuel, it seems coal goes off once out of the ground, and the one remaining steam coal mine supplies one power station, when the power station closes so will the mine, even all the steam railways together don't use enough coal to keep it open.

Is that a Stanley?

There's still time for a u turn when they realise theyve messed up and not built enough infrastructure,

As it stands some unsafe practices are being allowed to promote electric cars, use of TN-C-S (PME) supplies is a problem and the safe touch voltage has been risen from 50 to 70 volt to allow EV charge points to be installed, the fire risk is also being swept under the carpet, it is a repeat of the diesel scenario where governments went flat out to promote diesel then realised an error.

I know my house only has a 60 amp supply, without oil fired central heating and diesel cars the supply likely needs to double to most houses. Can't see that happening in a hurry.
Thanks, interesting.

According to my Googling you now need to install an earth Rod or use one of the newer devices that build in protection.

Which doesn't mean there aren't plenty of devices in use that are less safe than current regulations. But I've no idea how that risk could be quantified.

Sponsored Links
Back