Diesels

I remember the Commer TS3 engines, our refuse lorries used them, very noisy but efficient. There is a modern version that you will find on youtube that has nearly 50% efficiency. I think its under 'engineering explained'.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The suez crises of 1956 worked very much in my favour. Due to petrol rationing driving tests were suspended but if you had a provisional license you were allowed to drive unaccompanied, a provision I took full advantage of. If you survived that they couldn't really fail you - well they didn't me.

Peter

My dad drove that way for a while, I remember the petrol coupons issued at the time.

Sponsored Links
Pipe inspection gauge or PIG for short. And we would send different types through so PIG's
Don't want to speak for Harry, but I think he was making a joke! Though TBH I never realised PIG was a TLA, thought it was called that because of the shape.

And v12 & v16, some have made a v20,

The v engines were very good, the v8's were modular, meaning you could bolt the blocks together to make larger more powerful engines.

The v12 used straight 6 heads, the V8 and v16 used the heads from 4 cylinder engines.

They were very cheap, reliable, and sounded pretty awesome. In their time they were also very powerful.

Unfortunately they decided that 2 strokes can't be made emissions friendly.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to develop it further though as the power density from a 2 stroke is quite substantial.

They have, there is a new 3 cylinder two stroke opposed piston engine which in in the evaluation stage at the moment, it can be used on petrol or diesel, it has a potential efficiency of nearly 50%. Cant remember what its called but you can find it on YouTube.

Peter

Here it is.

Im sure the Deltics where opposing pistons, and that had to be the greatest sounding diesel ever

Last edited:
never liked the sound of the two stroke diesels, they just sound stupidly underpowered and having to work too hard, here is the 'Screaming Detroit Ford' how awful if you had to drive that all day

would much prefer a Scanny V8, sounds a bit more purposful.

Im sure the Deltics where opposing pistons, and that had to be the greatest sounding diesel ever

They are/were opposing pistons in a delta layout of cylinders, which is where the Deltic name originates.Two opposing pistons per cylinder, nine pistons powering three crankshafts.

Yep, I knew what a PIG was :)

Last edited:
Deltics were also fitted to the hunt class minesweepers

2B27AAE2-5616-4439-A2A0-C7E3B176E396.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back