Diesels

Sponsored Links
As others have said, it depends on the sort of driving you do and where you do it. Personally, unless I was doing big miles and lived in a rural area, I'm not sure I'd go for diesel these days. It's not that I think a brand new (or at least post-2019) diesel is significantly worse environmentally than a petrol engine, but the politicians and the public are currently running round with torches and pitchforks, looking for a witch to burn, and diesel cars seem to be that witch! Older diesels (and especially in urban environments), yeah, they were pretty bad, but the current ones are very good indeed.

Also as has been said, heaven help you if a modern diesel goes wrong!

The problem is the government at the time (labour) pushed everyone into diesels because they produced less c02, anyway what they didn't take into account was the particles emitted which is by far much worse and is the biggest killer, breathing the particles in and getting stuck to the walls of your lungs, so manufacturers spent billions in development, and government gave wonderful tax incentives, it's only been recently discovered that it would have been better to push for cleaner petrol engines over diesel engines, which is why there is now a renewed focus on making small engines more powerful, with the aim to increase mpg, with little effect on the power output. Some manufacturers do a better job than others.

You will notice now that diesel offerings are now greatly reduced with many of the small diesels (less than 1500cc) and no more diesel offerings in small vehicles.

The problem is the government at the time (labour) pushed everyone into diesels because they produced less c02, anyway what they didn't take into account was the particles emitted which is by far much worse and is the biggest killer, breathing the particles in and getting stuck to the walls of your lungs, so manufacturers spent billions in development, and government gave wonderful tax incentives, it's only been recently discovered that it would have been better to push for cleaner petrol engines over diesel engines, which is why there is now a renewed focus on making small engines more powerful, with the aim to increase mpg, with little effect on the power output. Some manufacturers do a better job than others.

You will notice now that diesel offerings are now greatly reduced with many of the small diesels (less than 1500cc) and no more diesel offerings in small vehicles.

Yes, although I don't remember the Tories (or any other party) opposing the move back in the day! What's more, it's a perfectly valid strategy, the problem seems to be that politicians can only think of one environmental problem at a time. They focused on CO2 reduction (which diesels are great at) and took their eye off the ball on particulates and NOx. Now they've gone (IMO) too far the other way and in a few years, they'll be panicking because CO2 emissions are back on the rise (as they currently are, despite the increase in the number of electric vehicles being sold).

Sponsored Links
The government has with taxes throughout time controlled how we power vehicles, the steam wagon's demise was due to weight and taxes based on weight, and the lean burn petrol engine again due to governments and the catalytic converter which would not work with a lean burn engine.

I have worked on two stoke diesel engines and the delta diesel was a real game changer, as was the smaller commer,
smallts3_3.gif
and there have been through the ages some cracking engines, but we did have some small petrol engines too, the Beford RL had a petrol as did the old Mack we had when I was an apprentice, I remember the Mack did 4 MPG light running and 2 MPG ploughing, it pushed a 12 foot V blade snow plough.

And this has always been the problem with petrol the compression ratio of 9:1 does not give the volumetric efficiency advantage of the 22:1 diesel, so we had to use diesel to conserve fuel use, however with direct fuel injection the problem with pre ignition goes, and with the Simms injection pump with the early Bedford TK multi fuel engine we could use more volatile fuels, we also saw tractors with tractor vaporising oil (TVO) or paraffin 28 sec gas oil.

The start on one fuel switch to another while hot has been done with ships for a long time, where 300 RPM was considered as high speed, 160 RPM more normal, and with modern cars if government kept their fingers out I am sure other fuels be it gas or 28 sec gas oil could be used, but the government with their rules steer the industry so innovation is suppressed, the ****el engine for example. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...m.svg/241px-****el_engine_diagram.svg.pngthis was not the only rotary engine, but to develop them and during the development stage keep within the strict emission rules means it will not happen.

The main problem with cars today is weight, a Morris Minor weighed 775 kg and a Vauxhall Agila 990 kg mainly due to the protection measures added, but still permitted to drive a motor cycle with no crumple zones, it has gone daft. Again government intervention.

So we have the electric cars - dubbed “voiturettes” in France - are small electric vehicles that can be driven legally without a full driver's licence, by anyone aged 14 or over. ... The electric vehicles are not allowed on motorways, are limited to 45kph, and are 3 metres in length and 1.5 metres in width. If the same was allowed as a petrol car then likely would be looking at well over 100 MPG. And due to petrol being lighter than a battery the motor can have a lower output and same performance.

It is nothing to do with the fuel, it is all to do with government interference. Sorry it seems the forum will not allow me to name the engine or show the picture, we also have forum intervention.

It seems to be back under way, northbound 7knots.

Looks more like still stuck in the Bitter Lake

upload_2021-4-6_15-25-36.png

She suffered damage to the bow thruster(s) and until they are repaired she may be banned from the channel as she would be unable kep the bow away from the channel sides.

The government has with taxes throughout time controlled how we power vehicles, the steam wagon's demise was due to weight and taxes based on weight, and the lean burn petrol engine again due to governments and the catalytic converter which would not work with a lean burn engine.

I have worked on two stoke diesel engines and the delta diesel was a real game changer, as was the smaller commer,
smallts3_3.gif
and there have been through the ages some cracking engines, but we did have some small petrol engines too, the Beford RL had a petrol as did the old Mack we had when I was an apprentice, I remember the Mack did 4 MPG light running and 2 MPG ploughing, it pushed a 12 foot V blade snow plough.

And this has always been the problem with petrol the compression ratio of 9:1 does not give the volumetric efficiency advantage of the 22:1 diesel, so we had to use diesel to conserve fuel use, however with direct fuel injection the problem with pre ignition goes, and with the Simms injection pump with the early Bedford TK multi fuel engine we could use more volatile fuels, we also saw tractors with tractor vaporising oil (TVO) or paraffin 28 sec gas oil.

The start on one fuel switch to another while hot has been done with ships for a long time, where 300 RPM was considered as high speed, 160 RPM more normal, and with modern cars if government kept their fingers out I am sure other fuels be it gas or 28 sec gas oil could be used, but the government with their rules steer the industry so innovation is suppressed, the ****el engine for example. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...m.svg/241px-****el_engine_diagram.svg.pngthis was not the only rotary engine, but to develop them and during the development stage keep within the strict emission rules means it will not happen.

The main problem with cars today is weight, a Morris Minor weighed 775 kg and a Vauxhall Agila 990 kg mainly due to the protection measures added, but still permitted to drive a motor cycle with no crumple zones, it has gone daft. Again government intervention.

So we have the electric cars - dubbed “voiturettes” in France - are small electric vehicles that can be driven legally without a full driver's licence, by anyone aged 14 or over. ... The electric vehicles are not allowed on motorways, are limited to 45kph, and are 3 metres in length and 1.5 metres in width. If the same was allowed as a petrol car then likely would be looking at well over 100 MPG. And due to petrol being lighter than a battery the motor can have a lower output and same performance.

It is nothing to do with the fuel, it is all to do with government interference. Sorry it seems the forum will not allow me to name the engine or show the picture, we also have forum intervention.

Wife's current Skoda Kodiaq weighs 1860kg with a full tank of fuel and 75kg in the driver's seat! My first car weighed 550kg. However, I know which I'd rather be in, if involved in a crash! And there's no getting round that one, I'm afraid. The car with the most metal generally wins. Nothing to do with government intervention either. All completely consumer-driven. The EU type approval requirements specify minimum safety performance levels in various crash tests. That's government / EU-driven. However, the EuroNCAP tests are nothing to do with government and are consumer-driven. THEY are the ones that manufacturers work to, because they're a bit more stringent than the type approval tests.

For emissions, it's different. That's all driven by regulation. We could have the "voiturettes" you mention, over here if anyone would buy them. Legally, they're termed "quadricycles" and yes, limited on power and speed. However, the UK consumer just doesn't seem to want them.

Looks more like still stuck in the Bitter Lake

View attachment 229489

She suffered damage to the bow thruster(s) and until they are repaired she may be banned from the channel as she would be unable kep the bow away from the channel sides.
I wondered if it had been a bow thruster problem that had made her crash in the first place, to keep straight in a long boat in a narrow channel you probably need a bit of bow thrusters. so were they damaged before getting stuck ?

shows she was steering erratically before the impact

As explained in the video, it was most likely deliberate - simply maintaining a queuing position whilst waiting for a pilot and to enter the canal. The pilot would be an independent witness and on the ship at the time of the incident, plus know exactly what happened. The claim was the wind caught it and blew it into the bank, the pilot in charge of the vessel would know the cause.

The black box is still being examined LINK

The Suez Canal Authority is seeking one billion dollars in compensation from the Ever Given container ship’s owner company Shoei Kisen, as well as Evergreen, as a result of the dayslong disruption of the canal and the subsequent financial losses, Rabei said.

Held to ransom
  • The Ever Given can't leave the Suez Canal until compensations are paid, officials said Thursday.
  • It is still unclear how much has to be paid, although it could be up to $1 billion.
  • The owner of the Ever Given said it hadn't officially heard from Egyptian authorities yet.
SOURCE

UK companies are waiting for some of the cargo

I have worked on two stoke diesel engines
In the late 70’s when I was working at a Vauxhall/Bedford dealer, they brought out a two-stroke diesel engined model, the TM, and I think they had either V8 or V10 two-stroke diesel engines. One incident stands out and that was that we had one in for repair of some sort and it was repaired and left outside over the Christmas shut-down. Unfortunately it wasn’t refilled with anti-freeze and we had a cold winter. The block froze and cracked and that was down to the firm. Cost them a lot of money!

The suez crises of 1956 worked very much in my favour. Due to petrol rationing driving tests were suspended but if you had a provisional license you were allowed to drive unaccompanied, a provision I took full advantage of. If you survived that they couldn't really fail you - well they didn't me.

Peter

Never seen the V8 or V10 the Detroit Diesel was an in line two stroke and the Commer was a flat engine a third of the Delta Diesel, with two pistons per cylinder. The problem is they need to be blown, the roots blower was used a lot, the Commer wagon had a special chassis to take the wider engine.

The Detroit was ported inlet and valve exhaust 4 valves per cylinder, and produced the plums of smoke typical to US wagons. In the main two stroke was used with the larger engines, ships for example and also generators.

Sponsored Links
Back