Difference in quality of TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some TRVs on my central heating system before the winter. Looking online I notice that the price seems to vary enormously! I can pay anything from about £7 each to about £40! Is there any appreciable difference in quality? I notice some are wax and some are liquid sensing. some seem to be EST approved. Some are complint with BS 2767-10 and others to EN 215.
Also, most seem to be 15mm angled. All mine are angled, but is there any way I can tell if they're 15mm? System is about 15 years old.

Sponsored Links
Same old same old i think.. You get what you pay for. Drayton TRV 4's are v good.

Sounds daft but is the pipe about the same width as you little finger?

I normally fit Pegler Terriers, they are plenty good enough.

Just measure the width of the pipe going into the rad valve, if will be 15mm, 10mm or 8mm.

Thanks both. The outside diameter of all the pipes that come up from behind the skirting boards and into the bottoms of the valves is just over 10mm - typically 10.5mm (but they have been painted). However, the very short length of pipe that comes out of the TRV and into the union on the bottom of the radiator is 15mm! The unions are both 24mm "spanner size" if that makes any sense?

Sponsored Links
liquid sensor trvs react much quicker to changes in room temperature and are generally more accurate. If you use trvs "properly"(ie setting them and leaving them) then these are the ones to go for. If you have a woman in the house constantly turning them up and down then dont waste your money and go for a cheaper wax one.
I generally use Danfoss C2, as they are a well priced liquid sensor valve and good quality. The D2 is the same but better finish. Drayton TRV4 are also good but I think they're overpriced due to their popularity.
For wax sensor valves as above the terrier ones are reliable and decent and can be bought cheaper from plumb center rebranded as "bulldog trv". Honeywell valves are also good quality wax sensor valves.

Go for the Danfoss Ras-C or or bit more expensive D's. IMO they are the best valves on the market. You can get combo packs which include a lockshield for around a tenner.

Are there any manufacturers who make thermostatic rad valves which mate with the old style valve tails?
The reason I ask is that I am currently changing my Boiler and while the system is drained I will replace some of the rad valves with the thermostatic type.
I have looked at a few different makes though and they all seem to have a different type of fitting where the valve fits to the tail coming out of the radiator, i.e. they look like a standard 15mm compression fitting with olive. The type currently fitted have a much larger nut and have a radiused end which pulls up to the valve.
I know the new valves have the tails included but it would be a much longer job if I have to remove the radiator just to fit the 'new' type of tail.
Any ideas?

you dont need to remove the rad to change the tail. they dont take long as long as the rads not badly corroded.

liquid sensor trvs react much quicker to changes in room temperature and are generally more accurate. If you use trvs "properly"(ie setting them and leaving them) then these are the ones to go for. If you have a woman in the house constantly turning them up and down then dont waste your money and go for a cheaper wax one.
I generally use Danfoss C2, as they are a well priced liquid sensor valve and good quality. The D2 is the same but better finish. Drayton TRV4 are also good but I think they're overpriced due to their popularity.
For wax sensor valves as above the terrier ones are reliable and decent and can be bought cheaper from plumb center rebranded as "bulldog trv". Honeywell valves are also good quality wax sensor valves.

Yes, Danfoss RAS C2. They're just over a tenner each if bought in packs of 5 from Screwfix. They're what I always fit. Sounds like these are the size you need -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/products.jsp?id=33140&ts=21450

Don't be tempted by cheap stuff with names you've never heard of. Always either Danfoss, Drayton, Honeywell, Pegler.

i know this may sound petty but i think that danfoss TRV is fugly looking :LOL:

i use "BOSS Supreme Plus" which i think a Peglar valve out of PTS. like the look of them...

you dont need to remove the rad to change the tail. they dont take long as long as the rads not badly corroded.

Problem is though that I won't find that out until it's too late :( . The new tails are also longer so could cause a problem where there is not much movement in the pipework. You'd think that someone would make a TRV which would fit straight off, especially when there must be a huge market of people retro fitting them to older systems.

Ive seen a fair few broken heads off the drayton 4 recently......

In my view ?? apart from the look of them , & wether or not they stay water tight , there probably isn't much difference between them ! I doubt wether one works any better than any other , althogh we did use to fit an ACL type that were supposed to be multi directional , & on some sealed systems it did not prove to be correct !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back