Dimmer Switch Tomfoolery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone, Ive been having some comedic problems with trying to replace a double light switch for a double dimmer switch. One switch controls wall lights and the other a ceiling light, both in the same room. Despite my best efforts i have proved to be embarrassingly bad at this DIY lark and am turning to the experts for advice. I have managed to get both switches to control the wall lights (ie, both switches need to be 'on' for just the wall light to work). i have also achieved this with just the ceiling light. i have even managed to have one switch simultaneously turn the wall lights on, and the ceiling light off! Please help!
Here is the switch:

That red wire was on the old switch connecting two COM sockets.

Here is the wiring:

Would you PLEASE be able to tell me where i have been going wrong?

Thank you

Barry

Sponsored Links
Try putting a red into each common, and a black into each L1. There should be red sleeving over the black wires to indicate they are switched lives.
Davy

not think about looking to see what went where before starting? and reds to each common is the most logic thing, but why is there a link?

:?: Was that red link in place when you bought the switch? Or did you put it in to match something in the old switch you took out? edited - on re-reading your post...I am pretty sure it is wrong... take it out, please.

If I may make a guess...
Red to L1
Black to the wavy line with the arrow thgrough it.

Sponsored Links
I did look but got distracted then had to go to work and thus i forgot. No idea why there is a link, the switch has been there since i moved in. Ive tried the set-up you suggested Davy, but no luck im afraid.

Thanks,

Barry

JohnD said:
:?: Was that red link in place when you bought the switch? Or did you put it in to match something in the old switch you took out?
I am pretty sure it is wrong... take it out, please.

It was on the old switch, i just mirrored it. it has since been taken out

can you remember ANYTHING about how it was wired? go get yourself a multimeter and learn to use it.

Have you got a multimeter? If not, pop up to the high street in the morning and invest in one, s/be about £8 for a simple one which is all you'll need.

Looking at the cables coming out of the wall, I'd expect the red to be permanent live and the blacks to be switched live returning to the light fitting. As my guess didn't work, test the wires in the mlorning to see what they do.

Can you refit the old switch, and do the lights then work? they shouldn't need the red link (usually)

How many switches are there for the ceiling light i.e. is it 2 way?
Ditto for wall lights?

Can you explain what options you tried and what results you got please?

Since my first option didn't work I can only assume that both the reds are not permanent lives. You must have atleast one permanent live and that could explain the reason for the link. Possibly one t&e cable brings the permanent live with the neutral conductor being unused and the other cable takes the 2 switched lives... would be a stupid way of doing it since there would have to be a junction box somewhere to separate the switched lives to each fitting.

Davy

Ok, thanks again everyone for all the help.

There is one switch for the ceiling light, and one for the wall lights. Only one way

So far i have tried blacks in L2 Reds in L1 with the connector going from COM to COM - That seemed to give both switches control over the wall lights.

Ive tried that in reverse and got the same

Dozens others, and basically nothing seems to work without that link wire in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back