dipstick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dipstick snapped this morning as I was removing it from its hole to check the oil.

Its snapped at the top of where the gauge would be. So I cant see how much oil I have.

Will it harm the engine if I continue to drive it? The gauge is somewhere in the engine lol.

Citroen C4 HDi 1.6. :oops:

Sponsored Links
It might if its picked up by the crankshaft. Try the dipstick to see if it is magnetic, if it is, drain the oil then get a fairly strong magnet and draw it along the outside of the sump to the plug hole, this should draw the bit to the hole and you may be able to hook it out.

;)

I bet your dipstick has one of those plastic ends.
Its a common fault for them to break, as whatever plastic they use tends to harden as it's heated and cooled by the oil.
The broken piece is usually retained in the tube, which runs down to near the bottom of the sump.
Depending on the length of the broken piece, this can sometimes prevent a new dipstick from seating itself properly.
If this were to happen, you will need to have the sump removed, to retrieve the broken piece....... :cry:

iv done loads of these- it will be plastic, and it will be a sump off job. piece of cake if your remotely able to use a ratchet, will take you 30 mins.when removed -its hard to see how it would ever cause you a problem so dont be scared to drive till your able to do it.

kind regards

Sponsored Links
Its in for a service, MOT and brake overhaul soon anyway, I'll get it done then.

Out of interest would the dipstick be covered by the warranty? I wouldn't call it wear and tear!

The dipstick hole on this car isn't exactly straight, not the place for a fragile dipstick in my opinion.

with some vehicles they build the engine, then build the gearbox, then build the drive wheels, then everything else around it.

....then they say "we forgot the dipstick"! :eek:

they then drill a hole and nail one in somehow. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back