Disabled rights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd forgotten that from today access rights must be given to those amongst us with a disability. Absolutely no problem with the sentiment but, as usual, the implementation can be a bit lacking in certain areas.

I've just been down to a local building society. It's a very small branch. There's no step, so no problem there however the door has now been automated. Operation is via a touch sensitive pad.

In the past if there was a large queue it stretched past the door which had to be opened carefully - no longer. If you're in the way of the door it is now driven open to the full 90deg so beware or you find yourself catapulted across the room.

It also stays open for about 15 - 20 secs. An open invitation for any small children to wander out into the busy street (happened twice while I was in there).

The best bit was that there was another small lad who was sitting inside waiting for people to come in and then pressing the door button. It was all innocent stuff but it caused total confusion as they put their hand on the door only for it to move away from them as if by magic.

There must be a better way. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I used to bank with the fraction bank.

One day I went into the branch I used most and pointed to a sign indicating they had a loop system installed. I'm getting my digi aids soon, I said. How does your loop system work.

Oh that, said the girl, It's in a box in the back of the office - no one knows how to use it - it's just there because we're supposed to have it.......

Needless to say, I'm now with another bank.

securespark said:
Needless to say, I'm now with another bank.
Nice one, might be worth reporting them.

They are taking down phone box round my way because of high user of mobile phone and I cannot use a mobile phone. Now what do I do ?

Move to Edgeware Road in London: all the phone boxes there have internet and text messaging too. Great fun.

There is another problem with removing phone boxes. Back in the Cold War, they decided that public phone boxes are high-priority lines as you never know who will need to use one. However residential phone lines aren't and can be cut if necessary during e.g. a bomb attack. So, if they feel the need to cut off the phone system, mobiles and residential lines WON'T WORK! Phone boxes are the only phones that will work outside of government offices.

What happens if you happen to come across a vital member of the cabinet lying dazed or dead in a gutter? How do you let the Police know you have found them? If they are destined to be the man who sorts it out, it could be the difference between a nasty international crisis and full-blown war.

OK, extreme example, but you need to think of these things.

Sponsored Links
has any of you tried shopping with a double baby buggy?the ones were the tots are side-by-side.talk about major grief?they don't seem to fit in a standard doorway,be it commercial or private.the attitude of other shoppers has to be seen to be believed,they seem to think that we think its a god given right for others to make room for us.we don't,we just want to go about our own buisnees and get on with shopping :evil: a lot of shops are just out of bounds as you can't get a double buggy down woolworts toy aisle or even mcdonalds.people just give you a hard time because you're in their way.what the f*** do they expect you to do!balance 2 kids on your head :eek: i symphise with disabled but will shops get grants to modify the doorways/access.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
you can't get a double buggy down woolworts toy aisle or even mcdonalds.

In about 5 or 6 years, you will be wishing you couldn't get them into Woolworths toy aisle or McDonalds! :LOL:

Perhaps you could innovate with a different design of buggy: one child behind the other, or even facing each other.

Double buggies always look badly designed to me. It is as if they just stuck two buggies together, so you have three pushing handles. No matter which two you use you are always pushing off-centre. Which is a very inefficient way to do things. Unless you just go full arm-span and grab the outer ones! Which is also bad for you.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I give buggies room because I realise that people need to get about. I would say I treat them in the same as wheelchair users. However, you do occasionally get an overstressed angry parent who seems intent on using it to injure shins and legs.

What about when you see those giant off-road pushchairs being shoved around inside shops. Anti-social or what?! And I am YET to see someone jogging with one, WHICH IS WHAT THEY WERE BL**DY DESIGNED FOR! :evil:

I think many people just have poor spatial awareness and bad manners, a bad combination. How often are you in a supermarket with a basket, someone is coming the other way so you twist out of their way a bit but they just plough on regardless. And then look hurt or shocked when their basket rams yours. You notice the one person who does this, not the 80 who let you pass! You will find this exaggerated with a pushchair as you are taking up that much more room that you will be exceeding the politeness thresholds of a larger number of people. I have often wondered how many fights break out in supermarkets each year due to someone barging past someone else coming the other way. I have occasionally had to give angry looks to people who have just rammed my knuckles with a trolley :LOL:

Unbelievably, I found this worse when I was recovering from a leg injury. I was, for all intents and purposes, disabled for a few weeks. It was a real eye opener: I found that a large number of people just looked straight through me and refused to get out of my way despite it being glaringly obvious I could barely walk, and even then only like Herr Flick after receiving a cricket ball in the pills. B**tards.

masona said:
They are taking down phone box round my way because of high user of mobile phone and I cannot use a mobile phone. Now what do I do ?

Ring up their payphone CS line and ask them what they expect you to do now.

0800 661 610.

I trust you have all the help you need from them on a domestic level(assuming they are your telecoms provider). They will fit sockets ringers etc FOC if you are HOH.

You only have to ask!

how about a double buggy with gladiator style knifes sticking out from the wheels :LOL: or the best way to get people to avoid you is just go to a very busy shopping center then produce a clipboard :eek: you'll be surprised how many people avoid you like the plague :eek:

thing is about this dissabled access is, its not new, it has been known about for 7 (or was it 9) years
that is when it was mentioned that it was going to come into force, and what happened...............nothing.

on the other side of the coin, how do expect "mr corner shop owner" to make access for wheel chairs etc, when he has

a) little profit, and most is tied upp in his stcok

b) no room to move things further apart.

Similarly for some big shops, they may have a service lift, but not all can acomodate a wheel chair (i have seen some shops that have an overgrown dumb waiter for stock transportation) but is the building capable of structural alterations to have a lift put in? I mean will the cost of alterations for a lift out weigh the cost of the shop itself.

Look at some of the small shops in London, ok they were never designed to be a shop but lifts and access ramps would be bigger than the shop.

as yet no one has mention this type of thing.

and no i do not own any type of retail premises before you ask.

Ever tried walking round St Ives? Let alone wheelchair access!

Sponsored Links
Back