Display cabinet adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi don't know if anyone can help but I have a display cabinet with lights but no adapter and I haven't a clue what I need any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
A little more detail on what exactly you have will be required.
Can you take some pictures and upload them, this may help you get the required answer.
Is it an adaptor or is it a transformer that is required?

You will need a transformer that converts 240V to 12V.
Ideally one that can take the socket end but that can always be removed and re-terminated.
The transfromer will require to match your lighting load, so next question would be: In watts, what is the lamp/bulb output?
I assume the other end of the sockets pictured are the lamps?

Sponsored Links
Yes the other end is attached to the lights just undone them and it says 20 watt max 12v typet3 does this mean anything?
This is a picture of the bulb that's in

How many of those is there on each of the three units?

So you have 3 lamps at 20W each totalling 60Watts.

So you have options of either having a transformer for each 20W lamp or you can have all 3 on one transformer that can deal with a 60W load.

Personally I would go for just the one transformer but that is personal choice. A 20-60W transformer should just about cope with what you have. You can purchase 20-70W ones that would be a better choice.

Thank you for your help but do you also know the best place to buy a transformer started looking on line but not sure what I'm looking for, sorry to be a pain

The Robus 20-70Va should be fine.
You will need to splice the ends of sockets of the existing lights and terminate those into the secondary side of the transformer and supply 230/240V to the primary side. This should be marked up on the unit.
Depending how you are supplying the lights, make sure you have the fuse rating correct as specified by the manufacturer, would require less than 1A, so possible anything between 1A-3A will be specified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back