diy rewire-who do i tell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am considering a diy rewire and am aware that someone needs to be notified about my plans and has then to test it to certify it.
does any one know who i should contact?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to contact your local BCO (building control office)

They will want to see your proposals BEFORE you commence with any work

And they will expect the entire installation to conform to regs (if it is a total rewire) ... This can often be more expensive than you'd think.

MW

does any one know where i can see the required regulations? are these for trades persons only?

also, the rewire will be of a small two up two down terrace house with a ten or twenty year old down stair bathroom extention. i'm interested in any ideas as to how i should go about the rewire

who will test the rewire and approximately how much does this cost?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your local library may have a copy of BS7671, or you can buy it from ebay/amazon or any decent book shop. Your BCO inspector should be able to offer you advice and if you need clarification there is always this forum.

If you have no experience then The Electricians Guide by John Whitfield is a very good book, although perhaps a full rewire isn't the best idea if you haven't got at least some knowledge of the regs already, but if you are determined to do the work yourself, and you are prepared to read, read and read some more then there is no reason why you can not perform the rewire safely yourself.

The building control people should have someone who is qualified to perform the necessary tests but if they do not it is their responsibility to subcontract out the work, and it is also their responsibility to foot the bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back