DIY Shed - things to consider...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, so I'm going to be building myself a shed, 24x9ft. Framed floor & roof, framed walls, plywood or OSB sheets on outside and in, some kind of membrane on outside and then maybe feather board clubbing, pent roof.

I'm trying to get an idea of tools I would need to make it easier for me. I have a mitre saw, cordless jigsaw and combi drill.

I'm planning on getting a cordless impact driver, cordless circular saw. Things like speed square, levels, chalk lines.

What else should I consider getting?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210726-114057_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-114057_WhatsApp.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20210726-114106_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-114106_WhatsApp.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20210729-212935_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210729-212935_WhatsApp.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Depends on budget but chop saw for timber frame . Decking screws are cheap for external fixing and come in lots of sizes .
Just use osb internally then outside roofing membrane (or cheap poly sheet) and cladding .

Hand saw (1st fix), hammer, trestles, impact driver, decent 18in pry bar (e.g. Estwing), QR clamps about 6in (pair), 8m or 10m heavy duty tape measure, possibly 1st fix nail gun (rather than a chop saw). Why a jig saw? A brushless motor cordless circular saw (or just a corded saw) and a speed square will do the same job as a chop saw for rough framing work like this

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on budget but chop saw for timber frame . Decking screws are cheap for external fixing and come in lots of sizes .
Just use osb internally then outside roofing membrane (or cheap poly sheet) and cladding .

Thanks, you actually answered a question I did have about the outside wood sheeting, will foam board insulation be okay between the framing and touching the membrane on the outside and then the cladding?

Sponsored Links
The mineral wool batting that Foxhole refers to is better in terms if sound deadening. It is also relatively fire proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, so I'm going to be building myself a shed, 24x9ft. Framed floor & roof, framed walls, plywood or OSB sheets on outside and in, some kind of membrane on outside and then maybe feather board clubbing, pent roof.

I'm trying to get an idea of tools I would need to make it easier for me. I have a mitre saw, cordless jigsaw and combi drill.

I'm planning on getting a cordless impact driver, cordless circular saw. Things like speed square, levels, chalk lines.

What else should I consider getting?

Thank you.
What are you allowing for materials cost? I thinking of building my own shed too.

Good idea building out of wood, I've always fancied a brick built workshop down bottom of our garden but would take forever to build.

How high are you going, it's something like more than 2.4m high and you have to be quite away from boundary iirc?.

What are you allowing for materials cost? I thinking of building my own shed too.

Well a shop bought one is coming out at £2,500, so anything under that would be good, and 10 times the quality, however I've heard some think itll cost more building it yourself, I'm not sure, currently getting a list together of what wood I need and will cost it up.

Good idea building out of wood, I've always fancied a brick built workshop down bottom of our garden but would take forever to build.

How high are you going, it's something like more than 2.4m high and you have to be quite away from boundary iirc?.

I 'think' if its within so many meters of a neighbours fence or boundary it can only be around 2.5m high. Maybe 2.4m as you say

I like the idea of ground screws, seem pretty substantial.

Will be interested to see how you get on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back