DMFs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Scudo van is my first diesel. Before I owned it, I'd never heard of a dual mass flywheel. I understand they are there to lessen clutch vibration and maybe judder.

My first question is - does my van (2004 2.0 Jtd) definitely have a DMF? Next, as the van is on original clutch and 100,000 miles, I'm assuming that a new clutch isn't far off in the future. Would you definitely change the DMF at same time as clutch with this kind of mileage? Or is it a case of removing, testing and inspecting the DMF and if ok, reusing it?

Any help appreciated as I want to add to my knowlege as these things are a mystery.

Sponsored Links
Its maybe best to assume that the DMF will make the engine run much smoother than without it....diesels are running at much higher revolutions than ever before with the associated increase in torque. The DMF reduces stresses on the engine crankshaft and indeed, works very well.
I can’t be sure that your van has a DMF but I think its likely, and if you need a new clutch then a new flywheel should be fitted too.....labour charges and so on.
Conversions back to a solid flywheel are available but on the limited experience I’ve had with them (Duratorq Transit) the engine had significantly more vibration......others will disagree, of course.
Consider the DMF to be two flywheels in one, connected togeter with powerful springs. Harsh use causes the flywheel halves to try to separate - and they don’t half clunk!
John :)

Thanks for your answers. So if there's one in there - replace same time as clutch. Understood.

No problem with clutch at moment and I could be a bit previous thinking of new clutches (brother made a clutch last 146K on his MK1 Mondeo and he's a lot heavier footed than me) at 100, 000 miles - but I suppose it's not too far off. Forewarned is forearmed!

Sponsored Links
I believe your van uses the Peugeot 12 valve Hdi engine, if so only the 110 hp (with intercooler) has one, the 90 hp one doesn't, at least not in the Peugeots.

Peter

I didn't know the DMF existed till a few years back we needed a new clutch in a Bora TDI. The quotes were a £1000+ or around £400 for a SMF conversion which seems to be frowned on, some folk complaining of a wrecked gear box as the result of a SMF conversion.

The odd thing is, DMF is not a given for diesels. My old Rover 45TD had a SMF.

Expect to see more and more DMF's on petrol cars too - i.e all engines with a high torque (read turbocharger). Mercs, Fords and Subaru have had them for years.
Want to be without one? Go DSG :mrgreen:
John :)

I believe your van uses the Peugeot 12 valve Hdi engine, if so only the 110 hp (with intercooler) has one, the 90 hp one doesn't, at least not in the Peugeots.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Believe mine is the 8 valve, because whenever I order parts I'm asked if it's the 8v or the 16v. Never a choice for 12v. So poss no DMF.

It is the 2.0 version of the Hdi engine used in lots of Peugeot Citroen vehicles.

Last edited:
The flywheel just failed on my 2012 Mazda 3 with the 1.6 PSA engine at 140k miles. Before it failed it used to cause horrible drivetrain shake when moving off and then went away once it warmed up, the whole car literally shaked, my wallet is thankful it wasn't the gearbox causing it haha.

Looks like the previous owner only replaced the clutch and pressure plate itself because when I took it apart the clutch was nearly brand new. I'd replace everything to save the grief of having to take it apart again.

Sponsored Links
Back