Do Away With Ring Final Circuits?

Sponsored Links
And it is that very question of yours I was referring to.
I suppose the answer might be "You can use more appliance on a 32A ring than a 25A radial" but everyone else in the world manages without rings.

Maybe not, but it was one my reasons for liking rings.
Fair enough - but I don't think it is a good enough reason when it does not apply to any other circuit.

Sponsored Links
7/0.029 is larger than 2.5 mm² so when the ring final was designed, with 30 amp fuse, even if the ring final was broken the overload was a lot less, and we should not have to plan for people fiddling and getting it wrong, the loop impedance tests every years should highlight any errors.

I agree, there are so many electrically dangerous things which amateurs can do to a installation, so why single out the ring circuit?

I agree, there are so many electrically dangerous things which amateurs can do to a installation, so why single out the ring circuit?
When I used to carry out inspections, I would say dodgy rings were the single most common fault, some caused by NICEIC firms too

That's not a reason for installing a ring in the first place.

It is, you have a fall back position, another option in case of failure. Just like carrying an empty fuel can in your car boot. I would need to be certain of the cause of the failure though..

There are very few countries where "Rings" are legal to install.

In this day and age it is much better if all circuits are "Radials", protected by RCBOs, at about 20 A.
With a "typical" UK house, one could have two "Lighting" circuits (upstairs and downstairs) plus
three or four 20 A "power" circuits, with two in the Kitchen - and one plus one other elsewhere, as required, including the Garage

OK. I have just described the typical electrical installation for the average Australian house, if there were to be both an "upstairs and a downstairs" in any such a premises.

I suppose the answer might be "You can use more appliance on a 32A ring than a 25A radial" but everyone else in the world manages without rings.

In some things, the UK is ahead of many countries.

Fair enough - but I don't think it is a good enough reason when it does not apply to any other circuit.

Maybe not a good reason on it's own perhaps, but the ring circuit has many advantages. I do agree it lacks some of the advantages that it once had, so were I to be installing one now - I would be considering whether to install a ring or a radial. In a kitchen, it would certainly be a ring, with a radial for fridges and freezers.

It is, you have a fall back position, another option in case of failure. Just like carrying an empty fuel can in your car boot. I would need to be certain of the cause of the failure though..
No, it isn't.

The same applies to the live conductors which might result in overload so it cannot be a valid reason.

In some things, the UK is ahead of many countries.

Maybe not a good reason on it's own perhaps, but the ring circuit has many advantages. I do agree it lacks some of the advantages that it once had, so were I to be installing one now - I would be considering whether to install a ring or a radial. In a kitchen, it would certainly be a ring, with a radial for fridges and freezers.
Like sticking with Imperial

They manage, but we manage much better with the ring on 240v. Don't forget the US has 120v and needs two phases for the larger current appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back