Do I need a new electric CU for (Rental) EICR? (Ed.)

Be interesting to know how many people contributing to this thread are actually sparks undertaking EICR's currently

Sponsored Links
Quoting the PRS legislation its the 18th edition - not AMD 1 or AMD 2 or worse the 19th edition. .... So we are inspecting to a previous edition - which is clear.
Exactly ... but does that not differ from what you said should be done - i.e. refer to a non-current editions?

Be interesting to know how many people contributing to this thread are actually sparks undertaking EICR's currently
At least in recent times, I think there have only been three electricians contributing to the thread, of whom two are certainly retired. I'm not sure about the third, but I have a feeling that he is not 'undertaking EICRs currently', either.

At least in recent times, I think there have only been three electricians contributing to the thread, of whom two are certainly retired. I'm not sure about the third, but I have a feeling that he is not 'undertaking EICRs currently', either.

So why is this being discussed? Input from non sparks isn't particularly helpful

I am one of the mugs dealing with this ill thought out legislation and have to stand by the decisions I make .......

Interesting that @flameport hasn't chipped in much

Sponsored Links
He is probably busy doing EICRs to a proper standard and understanding of the requirements

So why is this being discussed? Input from non sparks isn't particularly helpful
You seem to have totally missed the point.

An EICR, whatever it says, on whatever basis it was created, does not impact on other inspectors/electricians. The people it does impact upon is those who commission and receive those reports (now particularly landlords), so it is therefore they who have most interest in discussing what is being done (and what should be done) by the inspectors, and why.

In any event, the electricians who have been participating in the discussion are entitled to their opinions, and to voice them, even if they are retired and/or do not conduct EICRs, aren't they ?

... and, of course, no-one is forcing you to take part in discussions which you do not regard as particularly helpful

You seem to have totally missed the point.

An EICR, whatever it says, on whatever basis it was created, does not impact on other inspectors/electricians. The people it does impact upon is those who commission and receive those reports (now particularly landlords), so it is therefore they who have most interest in discussing what is being done (and what should be done) by the inspectors, and why.

In any event, the electricians who have been participating in the discussion are entitled to their opinions, and to voice them, even if they are retired and/or do not conduct EICRs, aren't they ?

... and, of course, no-one is forcing you to take part in discussions which you do not regard as particularly helpful

I just think that some posters are deliberately muddying the waters ................. which isn't helpful

The basics for homeowners / landlords are the PRS legislation and the Electrical Safety Council Best Practice Guide No 4 issue 6

These are in the public domain and its those reference points I point people towards ............. as there aren't (that I am aware) any other points of reference with much validity

Why do you believe what Electrical Safety First say?
Because they at least appear to have the support of most of the major industry bodies. Thier advice also seems to align pretty well with the 16th edition of BS7671 which was when the IEE wiring regs became a proper british standard and also was the prevailing standard at the time the UK first started regulating domestic electrical work.

It's far from an ideal situation, but we don't seem to have anything better.

I just think that some posters are deliberately muddying the waters ................. which isn't helpful
Most, if not all,of what you are calling muddying' was initiated by people who, just like you, are/were electricians.

Your comment about 'muddying' underlines the fact that, although you frequently talk about "the discussion", your idea of a discussion seems to be for you to just repeatedly assert your own, seemingly unchangeable, views, and not take notice of anything anyone else writes, other than to disagree with it or dismiss it.

What I really don't understand, is that you frequently complain about the discussion in a thread, often describing it as 'not useful', but yet you persist in contributing to the thread (frequently 'unhelpfully', going on about the thread, rather than its topic) Have you nothing better to do with your time, or what?

Because they at least appear to have the support of most of the major industry bodies.
But those 'major industry bodies' are part of the problem, so why should their support for yet another body be particularity meaningful.
Thier advice also seems to align pretty well with the 16th edition of BS7671 ...
Are you staying that the advice they give is seriously 'obsolete', aligning pretty well' with the regulations of about 30 years ago?

Kind Regards, John

But those 'major industry bodies' are part of the problem, so why should their support for yet another body be particularity meaningful.
I don't particularly like them either, but these are clearly organisations in a position of high power and influence and I wouldn't want to be someone standing in court trying to defend why I had given a satisfactory EICR to something that industry guidance deems unsatisfactory.

If you are aware of any organsations of similar or greater stature giving substantially different advice please do tell me about them.

Are you staying that the advice they give is seriously 'obsolete', aligning pretty well' with the regulations of about 30 years ago?
I am saying that although they don't state it explicitly they have effectively chosen the 16th as a threshold for how far out of date an installation can be and still be "satisfactory" and that given the lack of an official government position on such that I belive that the 16th is probablly one of the most defensible cutoffs to choose.

I don't particularly like them either, but these are clearly organisations in a position of high power and influence and I wouldn't want to be someone standing in court trying to defend why I had given a satisfactory EICR to something that industry guidance deems unsatisfactory.

If you are aware of any organsations of similar or greater stature giving substantially different advice please do tell me about them.

I am saying that although they don't state it explicitly they have effectively chosen the 16th as a threshold for how far out of date an installation can be and still be "satisfactory" and that given the lack of an official government position on such that I belive that the 16th is probablly one of the most defensible cutoffs to choose.
An interesting view. I`m not sure quite how you arrive at that one. However I do seem to remember that around that time the "IEE Wiring Regulations" was adopted as a British Standard so was produced jointly by IEE & BSA and its format changed from "how we achieve" to "what we must achieve" in many ways and aligned more with Europe. Prior to that it seemed that the 14th Edition was "the benchmark" in my earlier years at least. Due to my age the 14th was the one I most remembered being spoken about at the time. Yes I remember the 16th seemed to change things quite a bit. But I have never considered it to be thought of as "a defensible cutoff" as such. I will have to ponder on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back