Do I need to cover these cables before the EICR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having an EICR in one of the rentals.
Do I need to cover these cables that are coming out of the CU? It has passed its previous EICR.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
I would say do nothing until the EICR is delivered to you

Why do you think they need covering?

I’m having an EICR in one of the rentals. Do I need to cover these cables that are coming out of the CU? It has passed its previous EICR.
Lack of covering, per se, is not an issue. However, there could be something said about the 'vulnerability to mechanical damage# (e..g. people kicking them etc.!) of those cables down on the floor. 'Covering' them would be one solution to that, but merely 're-routing (away from the floor) would probably be adequate.

Kind Regards, John

The CU is inside a cabinet that is not very much used. I think what the previous electrician did was to fill the space with silicone of the cables entering the plastic CU compartment.

Sponsored Links
Yes - cables should have protection from mechanical damage risk - virtually nobody seems to bother about meter tails though!

The sheath is the mechanical protection.
Even a cable with a sheath (which all touchable cables are required to have) is still required to be installed in such a manner as to minimise the risk of mechanical damage (despite the sheath). Otherwise, a plastic-sheathed cable (without any other protection) lying on the surface of a flower bed would be acceptable.

The cables do not look well supported, so may not conform to reg 522.8.5.
There's even a Note attached to the reg saying it includes meter tails

The sheath is the mechanical protection.
I`m not sure I totally agree there.
Indeed the sheath is part of the cable giving mechanical protection therefore inherent.
However the cable itself (including its sheath) should also be protected where appropriate.
Therefore two items of mechanical protection are usually required, one inherent and one external.

Reminds me a bit of one on this forum a few years back. at college I think there where about ten tutors in the electrics dept in this case. Apparently my tutor discussed with the others a question I had raised about main bonding and the catch all "but in any event if the DNO wants bigger conductors then bigger it is". Tutors were split about 50/50 so I was told as to what the reg itself said.
In my mind the regs laid down the rules but the DNO could over rule it. In fact one forum contributor backed me up on this one. Unfortunately, shortly after that contributor supported my belief, I had a blinding flash of inspiration " St Paul on the road to Damascus " sort of event I think. I had to concede that Ban-all-sheds was correct. In short the bit about conductor size was the reg and the DNO could could overule that reg. Ban`s argument was that the bit about the supplier overruling it was in fact part of the reg itself and not an overriding condition external to the reg.
Come to think of it I can only remember once remaining of an opposing view to Ban, Is a terracotta plant pot inverted over a downlight for heat protection an acceptable idea. I thought it could be under the right circumstances. I think Ban thought "not as the manufacturer intended" therefore not right. I didn`t agree with that stance alone in itself, as the regs do not preclude new inventions and new ideas. To my mind using something not as originally intended could be viewed akin to new invention/idea providing it is backed up by sound engineering judgement. In other words, think twice before you do it but it is not necessarily always wrong in every case to use something in a "new" way.
Ban was a pretty clever fellah, well researched well educated and he was (nearly) always right. OK his delivery of his answers sometimes rubbed folks up the wrong way (I think he enjoyed a good old joust) but you would cross swords at your peril.
By coincidence he reminded me a bit of a contributor to the IET Forum under the name Non-Sparky.
I do miss him - I wonder if he still reads these forums? or fora!

Ban was a pretty clever fellah, well researched well educated and he was (nearly) always right. OK his delivery of his answers sometimes rubbed folks up the wrong way (I think he enjoyed a good old joust) but you would cross swords at your peril.
Totally off-topic, but ...

I couldn't agree more (and have said the same many times in the past). I remain in touch with him and, although he caused me a significant amount of 'heartache' when he was here, on balance I would very much like to see him back.

After a few fairly short periods of enforced absence, the person whose behaviour caused him to 'withdraw' now seems to have finally 'disappeared' (again, presumably not of his own doing!),having last posted on 27th February, with his profile now 'not available'. If BAS could be convinced that the person is never going to be allowed to return, I might be able to persuade him to 're-join the flock'.

Kind Regards, John

Bring him back and get him to fix the regs! Just in time for EV chargers and heat pumps, one subject to PEN faults and the other not for... reasons!!!

Totally off-topic, but ...

I couldn't agree more (and have said the same many times in the past). I remain in touch with him and, although he caused me a significant amount of 'heartache' when he was here, on balance I would very much like to see him back.

After a few fairly short periods of enforced absence, the person whose behaviour caused him to 'withdraw' now seems to have finally 'disappeared' (again, presumably not of his own doing!),having last posted on 27th February, with his profile now 'not available'. If BAS could be convinced that the person is never going to be allowed to return, I might be able to persuade him to 're-join the flock'.

Kind Regards, John
At one time I believed BAS and W were one and the same person, I often noticed they were pedantically saying similar things.

I for one often thought both got in the way of useful and suitable advice, I'd probably consider pulling out if either return.

At one time I believed BAS and W were one and the same person, I often noticed they were pedantically saying similar things.
I definitely wouldn't agree with that. Intellectually speaking, the two were/are on totally different planets - and, in dramatic contrast with the situation with BAS, I struggle to recall anything particularly useful, let alone 'valuable', that the other one ever wrote!
I for one often thought both got in the way of useful and suitable advice,
One of them certainly did. BAS often 'over-complicated' things with (albeit often 'valid') distractions/tangents/pedanticisms, and gave a lot of very good advice himself, but, as above, I can think of little/nothing positive to say about the other one!
I'd probably consider pulling out if either return.
I've lived with both of them in the past, and would not let the presence of any individual cause me to 'pull out' - after all, one can always 'ignore' (both literally and technologically) anyone of one's choice.

Kind Regards, John

I suspect that the person doing an EICR will find more so probably best to leave it to see what is found before trying to fix (hide) it.

I suspect that the person doing an EICR will find more so probably best to leave it to see what is found before trying to fix (hide) it.
I would think that ,in this case, 'hiding ' would really amount to 'fixing', since, as far as I can see/think, the only thing really wrong with those tails is their potential susceptibility to 'mechanical damage' (which risk would probably be dramatically reduced by whatever was 'hiding' them).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back