EICR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya first time posting so apologies if not the right place/I'm not following correct etiquette.

I've moved in with my boyfriend and am doing up my flat to put on the rental market. I'd like to get a pre-certificate EICR to see what may need to be done/fixed.

Where's a good place to find a reliable electrician who will carry out an EICR for me? (I've searched on here and it says there are no electricians in my area :/ )

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need to look around your local area alas. Try and avoid the various lead generation websites. Have you got any local friends or family had any electrical work done recently?. Have you started looking at letting agents- they'll mostly have their pet tradespeople.
Be wary of a pre EICR- thats an invitation for someone to wander round & tell you x y z will need doing without committing anything to paper. A common one thanks to the new legislation will be 'you have to have a metal CU now, its the law'.
If your setup is fairly modern then just get an EICR done, rather like an MOT there is a process that whoever does it has to go through. Should cost in the £120-£150 area unless its a mansion.

There has been a lot about EICR in last few weeks, and there has even before that been arguments galore on when it is C2 or C3 a C3 says there is a item which may need addressing but it is still OK to use, and a C2 says it is not satisfactory.

They were designed as an aid to the home owner as to what needed doing when, they were never intended as a legal document saying if home can be used, and any error in coding was not really a problem, it was the text that mattered. There is a Best Practice Guide aimed as electricians, but it is a guide not a law, so two electricians can do a report and they will it is hoped both pick up on the same items, but one will code it C2 and the other C3. There is also an argument what is in his remit, personally I consider loads and loads of adaptors in a socket it nothing to do with the EICR they are not part of the fixed wiring. Also an immersion heater without a non resettable over temperature cut out is not necessary a failure, it depends on the plumbing, with a metal or thermal setting header tank it's not a problem, only with a thermal plastic is it a problem.

So we have
Best Practice Guide said:
Inadequate number of socket-outlets. (Note: A Code C3 or, where appropriate C2, if extension leads run through doorways, walls or windows, or under carpets, or are otherwise being used in an unsafe manner)
now anyone with any sense would simply unplug the items, there is no real need to code it. Unless it is some essential equipment, and in my house before I moved in some one has fitted a very neat extension lead from kitchen to hall to power router including making a cover so not damaged as it goes under kitchen door, it is not dangerous, but is not really what I want, really it was a daft place to put the phone socket, it is on my to do list and has been on it for a year, but if renting I would have 28 days.

So you need some one with a little sense who will ensure safe to rent but will use some common sense, I thought I was going to need to rent out my mothers house, we needed the income from it to help pay for her care, and also make her feel it was temporary even though it was not, and she could move back. Getting in rent-able was a nightmare, we got an agent to come and have a look, and it was that hob is no good you need 4 rings, the loo door is no good if you get your eye on the gap on sliding door you can see in. And the list went on, as it transpired she died so house sold.

My advice is start with a letting agent, see what they say needs doing, I know you will need an EICR and if gas a gas report but we after mothers house decided when we moved the old house was to be sold, clearly the government does not want people to rent out houses or they would not have made rules and laws like they have.

Sponsored Links
try and get personal recommendations if you can .

Failing that you could try and ask on community apps like next door etc.

Try watching a few electricians on YouTube etc who talk about eicr's so you have some idea of some of the issues involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back