Do I need downlight cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have these lights installed in my bathroom:

It does say on the website
"FlameGuard technology for maintained protection in 30, 60 and 90 minute Fire-Rated ceilings"

Is it OK to cover it with 30cm of insulation?

I have been reading posts here and it seems people are quite keen on covers. But I have 10 of these lights, so buying those covers will be expensive. These are LED lights, in the bathroom and at most they will be on for 10-15 minutes at a time, being off most of the time.

Here is the photo:
68a54e58-358c-4d42-8e1c-8a3c8faba3ff.jpg

Sponsored Links
ha, I did not pay attention to the drawing, just the degrees

I suppose any fire rated cover would do?

Sponsored Links
I suppose any fire rated cover would do?
Fire rating is irrelevant.

The downlight is fire rated, which means when your house is on fire and the room filled with flames, the downlight will resist those flames for a certain length of time.
If it wasn't fire rated then an option might be to install a fire rated cover over it to provide the same function.

The downlight itself can't be covered with insulation as doing so will cause it to overheat and fail.
Any suitable spacing material can be used to keep a gap between the light and the insulation.
This is unrelated to whether the light is fire rated or not.

Any suitable spacing material can be used to keep a gap between the light and the insulation.

I have access to vomiting bowls at the hospital I am working at, they are made from recycled cardboard. Would they be OK? Would definitely be cheap, i.e. free.

I have access to vomiting bowls at the hospital I am working at, they are made from recycled cardboard. Would they be OK? Would definitely be cheap, i.e. free.
I think it would be better to use something that would be less likely to burn. The top of the light fitting is going to get hot, otherwise the manufacturer would not care about you covering it with insulation.

You do get proper products for this https://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-downlight-insulation-guard-220mm/97932 though that one seems very dear for what it actually is.

Because I knew someone who worked at a place that did it, I drew up and had cut and folded from steel some covers which were a central piece that was the width of the joist spacing plus overlapping the two joists, with clearance holes in the overlapping pieces to fix down on top of the two joists, each side there was a flange that was quite a bit narrower than the joist spacing which got folded down at 90deg, giving ~20mm clearance either side (enough to allow cables to be clipped to the joist as well as some variation in spacing) and went almost to the ceiling below, but not quite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back