LED Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not at all familiar with LED downlighters so I need to get some practical insight into their performance.

I am doing some work for some-one who is buying their own bits and pieces and I advised the bathroom ceiling where she wants the fittings falls into Zone 2 so an IP of X4 or X5 will be fine (X being anything from 1 to 6). So she buys four LED downlighters (of acceptable IP) of 1W each to be spaced evenly over a ceiling 1.65m x 2.00m

What rating does she really need for the ceiling as I am sure 1W will be pathetic more suited to providing ambiance than the main lighting! I was thinking maybe around 7W a fitting would be OK. Aside of the variables for cool and warm light and cones of illumination, are LED's pretty consistent on output given the same wattage?

Sponsored Links
Make & Model?

JCC's LED 7 is 7 watt and comparable to a 50watt halogen. Available in warm and cool white. Excellent light output.

1 watt? An LED wannabe for sure.

Plan B would be to try to point out to her that whatever the lamp technology, whatever the lamp output, trying to light a room by installing a load of torches recessed into the ceiling is not a good idea.

Although a room which is 2m x 1.6m would be fine with just 4 downlights, and at 28watt (7w x 4) BAS, you can't really complain.

Sponsored Links
It's not the wattage which is the problem.

It's having to use 4 lights in a room that size because the lights are not meant for lighting up rooms that's the problem.

But if you want to talk wattage, you could probably halve it by using a luminaire which is designed for lighting up rooms.

Since bathrooms are normally surrounded by white shiny surfaces using 1W may be better than one would first expect specially if aimed at the white surfaces. I decided I did not need 4 x 50W pods in my bathroom but did not really want to rip them out leaving holes. So I replaced with 0.58W lamps so it would not look wrong.

My wife cleaned the bathroom and managed to break the bulb holder on the 11W CFL and so for a few days we only had the LED's OK these were too small but still good enough to shower under, brush teeth and wash face but not enough to cut toe nails by.

Don't think it would work in any other room as no other room as shiny white tiles all around but likely they would be good enough in the bathroom.

They do of course need aiming at white surfaces to reflect the light not directly down onto the floor.

It's not the wattage which is the problem.

It's having to use 4 lights in a room that size because the lights are not meant for lighting up rooms that's the problem.

But if you want to talk wattage, you could probably halve it by using a luminaire which is designed for lighting up rooms.

Downlighters ARE designed to light up a room, and they do a fantastic job of it.

If the 1W LED GU5.3 lamps the OP's wife purchased are the ones I am thinking of, the words Chocolate and Fireguard come to mind. They are very, very blue in colour, and provide very little illumination. Still what do you get for a quid each?

I have, however, successfully used 12v 3.8/4w "warm white" LEDs which I found on Amazon for around £5 each - with "proper" LED drivers, about £5 each (will run 3 lamps) off e-bay or Amazon

Downlighters ARE designed to light up a room, and they do a fantastic job of it.
Oh - well in that case, as the room is only 1.65m x 2.00m, a single downlight should be all that is needed - the OP's customer can take the other 3 back.

You said they do a fantastic job of lighting up a room.

With a room that small you would only need one of them, if they did a fantastic job.

If you need more than one then your statement is untrue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back