Downlights for a Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is 1.65m x 2.52m and I want to install some low voltage halogen downlights instead of the horrible strip lighting we have at the moment. How do I work out the level of lighting needed for a room that big?

The pack I am looking at buying is a set of 5 25w downlights, will this be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
25w? you sure it wasn't 20w or 35w?

I would advise against using the transformers that DIY sheds provide in their kits. Cheap yet overpriced rubbish. Go to an electrical wholesalers and see what they recommend, and fit one transformer per lamp - this way if one goes (trannys do fail sometimes and some are more reliable), you still have some light.

I think 4-5 20w lights would suffice in that room.

Do you know about part p? My understanding is that this work will need notifying to your local council for a charge which should include an inspection. Search this forum for part p.

Crafty know his stuff! i am the wholesaler and what i would recomend is ip65 sealed downlights, 12v 50w dichroic lamps, and a good transformer with at least a 3 year guarantee, expect to pay around £15 for that setup

yeah 50w is the way to go, you need plenty of light in the bathroom else the mrs will complain she can't see to put her makeup on!

Sponsored Links
I have 6 low voltage Halolite Aluminium range 12V MR16 50W Halogen Downlights complete with transformers left over from my kitchen project (slighly over ordered!)....Can I use these in my bathroom does anyone know...I've looked at the zone thing and I guess they should not be placed above shower/bath (zone 1) but apart from that would they be ok to use with existing string cord switch?..or are there special bathroom only downlights?

Thanks

You'll need special bathroom downlights. They have a rubber sealing to keep the steam out of the enclosure , and have a splash proof glass casing to protect the bulb. They will need an IP for splashproof at the minimum.

If you were to fit your others

A) It would be dangerous with water spraying around in the bathroom. (ALthough they are 12 volt - if the enclosures arent sealed then water could get behind the fitting if sprayed with shower head etc - and kids WILL do this).
B) The steam would wreck the bulbs.
C) Eventual corrosion of the lampholders due to steam.
D) They probably don't have an earthing tag (And you WILL need one!) - even though they have a transformer , they are still metalwork exposing in the bathroom so they will need earth bonding.
E) Numerous other reasons.

For £10 a piece , it isn't worth taking the risk - sell your others on ebay and get some IP rated ones.

jondiy said:
D) They probably don't have an earthing tag (And you WILL need one!) - even though they have a transformer , they are still metalwork exposing in the bathroom so they will need earth bonding.
No they won't.

Ok, sorry, if SELV then they don't need bonding. although it's worth running an unconnected at either end length of 4mm from the nearest bond location to somewhere near the light feeds - just in case in the future, someobody (or even you) replace one (or all) of them with Mains type.

Apologies also to DarrenSL, as I was posting my reply, his replies also got posted, hence it looks like I was repeating what he had said!

When I was writing my post, nobody had replied to jog.

Thanks folks...No i won't even consider taking the risk with them...Off to Screwfix catalogue for some bathroom ones then!

DarrenSL said:
Bathroom lights need to be IP rated (or in other words need to be sealed to prevent water getting in). Have a look here for some useful tips on understanding zones and IP's ...
DarrenSL, do you understand IP rating. All fittings are IP rated and there is no requirement for ELV downlights, installed in Zone 3 to be splash proof.

DarrenSL, do you understand IP rating
OK, IP44 +

there is no requirement for ELV downlights, installed in Zone 3 to be splash proof
Your absolutely right there is no requirement but there's no harm in having splash proof lighting in a bathroom which is only 1.6m x 2.5m. Particularly given that theres a lot of steam and condensation likely to be around.

Plus, if you're buying new lights you may as well have matching lights over the bath/shower and in zone 3.

Apologies also to DarrenSL, as I was posting my reply,
Don't mention it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back