Do people know about YouTube?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay yes, I get the fact most people will have heard of YouTube. However, I wonder how many people are aware how much good quality and varied content it has? Now before you all start, yes, it also has more than its fair share of rubbish content. However, much of it would give mainstream telly a run for its money in terms of production values etc.

For example, the guy from Dragon's Den Steven Barlett does a podcast called Diary of a CEO. Last night I watched him interview ex footballer and pundit/presenter Chris Kamara. Found it really interesting.

What I like about it over 'ordinary telly' is the varied content. For example I watch a guy in the states who finds old vehicles and machinery, attempts to restart and refurb them. I watch another guy who train-surfs around various countries. And I watch another guy who goes around rating takeaways. Yes, sometimes mainstream telly will do a series where you think 'this is different' however it tends to be the exception not the rule, even with all the channels available to us these days.

We all have different tastes, my point is there is a WIDE variety of content on there of high quality. I think it's a pity some folk will sit of an evening and say 'ah well, nowt on telly for me tonight' not realising a world of viewing far removed from the usual telly hum drum awaits ...

Sponsored Links
Good post and yes YouTube is great, you can find something of interest on just about every subject there.

But you have really hit the nail on the head about telly being so narrow and samey nowadays. (The radio and the newspapers are similarly stricken). The MSM all say and do the same things. It is all because of advertising...TV stations and newspapers are paid for by their advertisers, and they are restricted in what they can say lest they lose those advertisers' money. You only get truth where there is no advertising revenue. Don't think the BBC is any different, they are the biggest advertisers of all...for the British government.

How different it was in the past, what variety and culture we had. I pity the young.

I have not watched tv for years. I much prefer toutube.

It's awesome, really.
Radio4 podcasts can be pretty good too.

Watch youtubes at double speed, it saves hours! And you can download the captions.

It's all made books a lot better than they used to be too, though half the ones I'm interesed in go out of date fast. And they are getting expensive.

Sponsored Links
I like to catch up with highlights of games from the NFL through YT - much easier than waiting for CH5 to show a full game from 1.am for 4 hours.
But the range of content is amazing: everything from kittens behaving badly to a full concert of Beethoven.

And of course, classic movie clips...

:cool:

Last edited:
It’s helped me out many a time with cars. Don’t know how to get a headlamp out - YouTube. How do I release an EPB without the special tool - YouTube. How to service a Haldex unit - YouTube. Etc etc

It’s helped me out many a time with cars. Don’t know how to get a headlamp out - YouTube. How do I release an EPB without the special tool - YouTube. How to service a Haldex unit - YouTube. Etc etc

But you have to be a bit selective. Some of the ones I've seen about repairing something make me cringe!
Watched one bloke taking a vacuum cleaner apart. All plastic casing with sunken screws. One tip was, if your screwdriver doesn't reach down the hole then 'simply' drill the screw head off. He didn't explain how you get the remaining part of the screw out or how you would fit a new screw if you still didn't have a long enough screwdriver. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Some of the ones I've seen about repairing something make me cringe!
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
There's a semi popular motorcycle 'tinkerer' who once told his moron followers to get the engine to running temp before changing the coolant 'cos it "helps it drain faster". We had that one removed but sadly YooToob still allows this imbecile to occasionally lead his morons into extreme danger.

What's your favourite channels on YT?
Mine:
Lindybiege - Lots of history/random stuff, and a bit of humour. If only he had been my teacher when I was at school.

NotJustBikes - Urban planning by a guy who moved to Amsterdam from Canada. His orange fronted vids are his main video essays, and are top notch. About what makes a good urban design, and the benefits of it. How costly car dependent suburbs are for society, and why its not just about bikes.

kurzgesagt - animated documentaries covering a wide range of subjects, mostly science.

Jago Hazard - History of the London Undergound. We often watch him last thing at night before going to bed as its just about 7mins. His volume of output is incredible, as he puts one out every few days, and every film is chock full of information. Its like listening to the shipping forcast: it often doesn't really mean much to us , but its strangely compelling.

Machine Thinking - Someone who is passionate about the history of machines, and the impact its had on our lives.

Tom Scott - Lots of random things that he's visited of interest. Usually short but interesting.

BritMonkey - A fair bit of random history stuff.

OverSimplified - History by cartoon, and probably aimed at younger folk than me, but still enjoy.

Most of the above are subjects I wouldn't normally go out of my way to watch on TV generally, but they are so engaging, that I watch them when they do new content.

Last edited:
Some very interesting and informative stuff. I probably watch more YouTube than terrestrial television these days. Amongst my favourites are -

Mark Felton - a well respected war historian with a number of books published

IWM - the Imperial War Museum

The Tim Traveller - slightly off-beat travelogues from a Brit who lives and works in Paris

Tom Scott - see above

Jago Hazard - ditto

Skill Builder - occasional rants, but good building content from a plumber who used to be on Watchdog on the telly

Mark Clevett - very knowledgeable joiner who does the job right and uses British techniques and terminology, as opposed to chancing it and talking American tripe like so many YouTube dodgy DIYers

Jonathan Pye - who rips the snot out of our pompous, puffed up government whilst being extremely funny at the same time. A sort of "Week Ending " (for those who remember that) on video

TLDR - various news channels which often cover topics outside of what the main stream media are covering, or covers topics in greater depth

Plus loads of music vids which allows me to sample music before I buy (mainly classical, I have to say)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very interesting and informative stuff. I probably watch more YouTube than terrestrial television these days. Amongst my favourites are -

Mark Felton - a well respected war historian with a number of books published

IWM - the Imperial War Museum

The Tim Traveller - slightly off-beat travelogues from a Brit who lives and works in Paris

Tom Scott - see above

Jago Hazard - ditto

Skill Builder - occasional rants, but good building content from a guy who used to be on Watchdog on the telly

Mark Clevett - very knowledgeable joiner who does the job right and uses British techniques and terminology, as opposed to chancing it and talking American tripe like so many YouTube dodgy DIYers

Jonathan Pye - who rips the snot out of our pompous, puffed up government whilst being extremely funny at the same time. A sort of "Week Ending " (for those who remember that) on video

TLDR - various news channels which often cover topics outside of what the main stream media are covering, or covers topics in greater depth

Plus loads of music vids which allows me to sample music before I buy (mainly classical, I have to say)
I like Mark Felton: his content is interesting and always that catchy intro to get into it.
Waldemar J. has his own art channel on there now with content from his days on the BeeB and new stuff that's quirky, fun to watch and unerringly informative.

Yeah, I'm with people on Tom Scott and Jago. Excellent stuff. I also watch UK Dash Cam and Salvage Rebuilds UK.

I forget the channel, but there's a guy in the states that tries to get things with an engine going again. He did a Hillman Imp and an old Austin (A40?).

Edit: He's called Mustie1.

Bald and Bankrupt - Travel vlogger visiting backwater places in eastern Europe, India, South America etc.

The Why Files - Investigating weird stories in the world of history, science and conspiracies.

Powerful JRE - Joe Rogan interviews.

Too many for me to list but if I was to pick out a few ...

Diesel Creek (guy in the states, revives old machinery etc)

Ben Mallah (loud American property guy)

DutchPilotGirl (for the flying of course!)

Strictly Dumpling (food review guy)

Andrew Camarata (machinery and stuff out in the wilds of the states)

UserNameKate (for the bikes of course!)

Theme Park Worldwide (name says it all really)

Charles Veitch (interacts with various people in cities centres etc)

Anything Goes with James English (interviews various people including ex criminals)

April Wilkerson (for the DIY of course!)

And tons more.

Sponsored Links
Back