Do we all get HACKED much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in that Facebook & Messenger are easiest to get HACKED?
I’m ‘Logged In’ down South. But I live in North East.
All my contacts received a message saying ‘ Someone you know has died ‘. Which gets people interested, so I got loads of replies.
I changed password but it still shows I’m logged in , in a different town.
You get sick after trying to sort it out, obviously the hacker knows that.

Sponsored Links
Well i wouldn't say easiest, its about how simple your password is. And there are many sites sharing hacked or compromised websites with literally 100's of thousands of emails and passwords used. If you're careless enough to either use something like password123 or a password that you use the same everywhere and never update again you will be 'hacked' sooner or later.

IN facebook click 'Settings' then 'Security and Login information' then 'Where you're logged in'. Here you can see devices and what time they logged into your Facebook account. select the 3 dots of anything you're not sure and logout. Then reset your password to something way more complex. Like a saying.

Face-hook-lace-nook-603 or something memorable that flows.

Also setup multi factor authentication.

Last edited:
Facebook has many fake requests for your password , usually along the lines of “this item/video/message needs you to sign in to view”.
But you are giving away your password if you fall for it then scammers can login in and send same message to all your contacts.

Sponsored Links
Also be aware that "you're logged in down south" might well be meaningless; IP address to geolocation isn't accurate. The "up north" login could be your phone line broadband where you live, and the "down south" could be your cell phone.
All Facebook know is one of your logins comes from IP address X, owned by Vodafone, and the traffic appears to come from e.g. London when you live in Chester

Put your email address in here and see what results say.
Mine shows 4 times.
Dropbox was the worry but I changed password quickly at the time it was announced.
Other 3 were not a worry.

I use a password manager for all my passwords - it keeps them safe & secure and allows me to have exceedingly long and hard to crack individual passwords for each site.
I only need to remember one (and it is not P@ssw0rd1) :)

I have been thinking about this for ages, but just didn't know which one to use or trust.

Which one are you using?

All my important sites, like Amazon eBay and banking have either 2FV or more.

I have been thinking about this for ages, but just didn't know which one to use or trust.

Which one are you using?

All my important sites, like Amazon eBay and banking have either 2FV or more.

Lastpass here, it even offers to generate a high security password, for a new site, and is available for all of your devices synched together. There is a free option.

Thanks.

I use Bitdefender on my PC and mobile. I'm wondering if their password thingy is good, as it makes sense to me to use the same brand.

KeePass for me

LastPass are not without their historical problems, but they're a popular choice

Dashlane here. Works a treat for passwords, auto fill, secure storage etc.

I used to use Lastpass however they have had more than 1 breach, they also doubled the premium cost.
ISTR that they are part of Keepass.

I now use bitdefender and it's working great for me.

Either one will imho be better than using the same sets of passwords on multiple sites or a little book or sticky notes or
your first rabbits name.
They enable you to have every website etc. using unique uncrackable passwords (without years worth of attempts) and keep secure notes
such as the pins to your cards - I have found that note very useful over the years.

All locked behind a single password/phrase that you must make secure yet easy to remember.

Or you could always use P@55w0rd02 :)

ISTR that they are part of Keepass
I wouldn't expect this to be he case unless we're referring to different KeePass; LastPass is definitely a much bigger-money affair than https://keepass.info/
Or you could always use P@55w0rd02 :)
Please no:

password_strength.png

Last edited:
A few things to keep you safe that I tell everyone to do:

- Don't use the same password for everything. Use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.

- Make sure if using any public computer or device that you tick the "Don't remember" passwords if asked.

- If connecting to Wifi, find out the actual Wifi name. There is a difference between "PremierInn Wifi" and PremmierInn Wifi". One of these networks could be trying to capture all your private details. Check with the venue you are at what their Wifi name is.

- Check E-mail details and look at the sender. If you hover over the address or links it will show you the address. A real address will be something like [email protected] and not [email protected]

- Online criminals often send poorly worded Emails and often use the words "urgent" or "you need to act immediately".

- Be careful of scam Whatsapp, Emails and calls where they message you and you reply that its the wrong number.
They then try and be your friend and tell you how they are making millions on this new crypto trading site.
They will then try to get you to invest.

- Don't open or reply to spam or malicious emails. It just confirms you are a real person and they'll then target you more.

- Keep your devices up to date.

- If you get any popups on a website saying you have a virus, 99% of the time you don't. If a message says click here immediately to dissenfect your computer you are more than likely going to be installing bad software that will put your computer at risk.

- If you use any IOT or smart home gadgets such as CCTV cameras I strongly advise that you have them on a separe VLAN or Guest network. These devices and often cheap wifi devices from abroad, lack security updates and can have back doors into your network. Keeping them on an isolated part of your network means they cant touch anything else.

Sponsored Links
Back