Remove all media, do we really have a pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so take away all TV reports, newspapers, social media etc right from square dot, is there a pandemic in your area?

I for one know no-one who has been seriously ill or died from this covid.

Yes, I've had hear-say; "such and such's husband's boss died" etc. Also, neighbours, friends and family have all tested positive at some point or another. But I personally know of no-one who has been hospitalised due to it. Symptoms no worse than a cold.

I ask you each to also ask the same of yourself. If you do know of someone hospitalised, did they have any other reason for being there or are you 100% sure it was only covid? I think you'll find it's very, very limited numbers.

I'm also not after stories. I'm just asking each individual to self-reflect.

If we take out the emotion and the propogander, I think that you'll be surprised!

Sponsored Links
I know no one who has died.

My next door neighbor had it (2x Inthe household) and 1 work colleague.

A colleague of mine father in law died of covid, but he wasn't a well man for years could only just walk to the papershop over the road to and when he moved he rattled he was taking so many pills, just the common flu would likely have finished him off tbh.

However the above being said 60 million people in the UK against a couple of 100k who have died, knowing those who have died would be few and far between..

Nobody directly in my family.

these are the ones close-ish

1) my nieces partner had Covid and was in bed for a week

2) my FIL was in a care home - he didn’t get Covid, many did and 8 died - Jan 2021 Kent variant.

3) my MILs best friend had Covid after 1st jab - took 8 weeks to get over.

4) my wife is a piano teacher, one of her pupils friends family all got it - and one them age 42 died, yet the 86 year old grand parent was fine.

5) a friend of mine, his FIL caught Covid in hospital got Covid, he’s 92 and has severe lung problems from smoking - wasn’t ill at all from Covid

6) my electrician, his wifes father had a heart attack, went to hospital….wife visited and got Covid. It’s really sad as he got over the heart attack and she died from Covid.

I live in SE, but I think some regions like SW had very little Covid.

Yes, I've had hear-say; "such and such's husband's boss died" etc. Also, neighbours, friends and family have all tested positive at some point or another. But I personally know of no-one who has been hospitalised due to it. Symptoms no worse than a cold.
Roughly 500,000 people have been admitted to hospital with Covid-19. That's around 1 in 135. There have been roughly 130,000 deaths, or one in 500.

Do you know 250 people well? That's how many you'd need to know, evenly distributed across age groups, ethnicities and geography, to have a 50% chance of knowing someone who died?

You might know 70 people well (although probably not evenly distributed), in which case there's a 50% chance of knowing someone who had Covid and was in hospital, but only 50/50.

People don't understand mathematics.:(

I know several people who have had bad Covid symptoms, including pneumonia but that was during the first wave and they weren't admitted, happily no-one dead.

Sponsored Links
I know a few who have supposedly had it. A friend, who is not in the best of health-heart valve replacements, type 1 diabetes, had "it". Said he felt a bit rough, but was back at work about a week later. His mum, who is in her 80's also had "it", again, no problems. A couple down the road have "it", both old-ish (60 +), no real drama. A friends son(in his 30's) has supposedly had it about 3 or 4 times, no problem.

I personally know 2 family members that have died and they had covid but both in their 80’s. SIL is 60 but very fit and she ended up in ITU because her lungs weren’t taking enough oxygen, she has now got long covid and they think she has long term heart problems because of it.

Only one I know who has died from it is someone from my work, approx age late 50’s early 60’s, not sure if anything underlying. My mum had it, but wasn’t hospitalised.

Last edited:
I live in SE, but I think some regions like SW had very little Covid.
Living in the SW (apart from one possible case?) I didn't know anybody who had it in 2020. Earlier this year a carpentry contractor I know well told me he suddenly knew of a couple of cases. His general theme was this is real now - he wasn't sure before. I know of two people who tested positive in 2021 - both work related. Nobody died. I'm on and off building sites all week so I do come into contact with a lot of people on a day-to-day basis. In general I can definitely say that the majority of contractors I know don't take it that seriously. I was in hospital myself (for 8 days) last August for something completely unrelated. I was surprised how quiet it was. Talking to nurses they said it hadn't really got that busy and the main issue had been with nurses having to go off shielding. It is a huge place mind - one of the ones that was taking cases from all over the country because it had capacity.

Personally had two elderly relations that when they died they had covid, both in their 80’s. Also SIL ended up in ITU because her lungs weren’t receiving enough oxygen, she now has long covid with lung and heart problems. Prior to that she used to run three times a week and is i very fit 60. All the younger ones I know have had no worse symptoms than the flu.

"This" Covid?

Have there been others?

Anyway - I dont know anybody who has died of cancer in the last 10 years, so obviously theyve found a cure.
I dont know anybody who has been injured or killed on the roads, so obviously RTAs dont actually happen.
I dont know anybody who has been knifed, so obviously all the fuss about knife crime must be confected.
I dont know anybody who has been burgled, so obviously theres no such thing as burglars.
I dont know anybody who has got in trouble at sea, so obviously the RNLI is a complete waste of space.
I dont know anybody who has died of a drug overdose, so obviously the laws against drugs are pointless.
I dont know anybody who has had their car stolen, so obviously I can stop bothering to lock mine.

Despite being double jabbed, I had it recently.

At the beginning, I suffered really badly. High T° and low SATS.

But it quickly improved and I feel OK now. I have an intermittent cough, but I always do, so it's really difficult to judge whether it's a leftover from COVID or just my normal hack.

I also had a weird issue with smell and taste. Not diminished, but I smelt a cooked ready meal early after catching COVID and after that, everything I had in my mouth had that smell/ taste.
Even brushing my teeth! It was insanely odd....

"This" Covid?

Have there been others?

Anyway - I dont know anybody who has died of cancer in the last 10 years, so obviously theyve found a cure.
I dont know anybody who has been injured or killed on the roads, so obviously RTAs dont actually happen.
I dont know anybody who has been knifed, so obviously all the fuss about knife crime must be confected.
I dont know anybody who has been burgled, so obviously theres no such thing as burglars.
I dont know anybody who has got in trouble at sea, so obviously the RNLI is a complete waste of space.
I dont know anybody who has died of a drug overdose, so obviously the laws against drugs are pointless.
I dont know anybody who has had their car stolen, so obviously I can stop bothering to lock mine.

I bet you know plenty of nutjobs though.

Id never encountered any until I started posting here.

"This" Covid?

Have there been others?

Not sure I see your point
Had each of these that you mention been hyped the way the media has hyped this 'pandemic' then yes, we'd all be running around paranoid about everything.
My point is that things need to be kept in perspective. I refer back to my original post. Remove the media hype and what really, do we have left? Not a lot tbh.
Everyone knows what propaganda is.
Say whatever you like, get enough people to believe it and it snowballs and becomes 'the normal. A well known tactic used I the forces and in the world wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back