Do we need Teachers and Schools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would appear that the best exam grades ever was the year that schools and teachers didn't function due to Covid, now they are all back to normal, grades have started to fall to prependamic levels - Is there a lesson to be learnt here? schools and teachers are a major burden on the tax payer, so do we need them?

Sponsored Links
It would appear that the best exam grades ever was the year that schools and teachers didn't function due to Covid, now they are all back to normal, grades have started to fall to prependamic levels - Is there a lesson to be learnt here? schools and teachers are a major burden on the tax payer, so do we need them?
You missed an important and hugely relevant detail regards the marking of exams, during the lockdown/Covid era.
I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose. Or perhaps you just didn't know?

I think the poor students are suffering from 2 years of lockdown and lack of eduction. It's not just schools. People are increasingly working from home so new entrants to various professions are unable to work closely with others to learn.

There is a broader question as to if Teachers have the best skills to teach. Any high demand industry is not going to attract the best people to teach. e.g. why would a top business, law or IT graduate work in teaching for <1/4 of of the money?

Sponsored Links
I think you are unfairly dismissing the work that teachers continued to do during lockdown.

I think the poor students are suffering from 2 years of lockdown and lack of eduction. It's not just schools. People are increasingly working from home so new entrants to various professions are unable to work closely with others to learn.

There is a broader question as to if Teachers have the best skills to teach. Any high demand industry is not going to attract the best people to teach. e.g. why would a top business, law or IT graduate work in teaching for <1/4 of of the money?
Not everyone is ruled by money

Not everyone is ruled by money
thats true and many successful business people give up their time `FOC as guest lecturer etc. It can be lots of fun particularly given the questions young people ask. But I know from those who I have tutored, I regularly got feedback that I explained the concepts in a way that their teacher didn't. For the exam papers, half the time you are trying to remember how things were 10 years ago in order to not disagree with all the provided answers.

If anyone has witnessed the suffering and disadvantages endured by youngsters that have been so called ‘home schooled’ they’ll realise how valuable education is.
John
(teecha for 35 years and experienced the brutality of Ofsted)
The mental health of not only pupils in recent years, but also of teachers ever since the education system was essentially privatised has been shocking...

And the rich/poor divide has continued to grow despite the lies of this nasty party government!

Which means that so much talent in the UK is wasted at the altar of corporate governance!

Because the grades were guessed. Kids in the first year of the pandemic had the best grades because nobody was going to predict a bad exam day.

My son got his grades today, devastated. Currently he is saying he's not doing any more school, so no idea what comes next.

Sorry to hear that. He can do A levels in subjects he likes and he will find it totally different.

My oldest tanked his GCSEs resat a few and is now on track for a 1st at uni.

Once you find the subject fun, learning is totally different.

Sorry to hear that. He can do A levels in subjects he likes and he will find it totally different.

My oldest tanked his GCSEs resat a few and is now on track for a 1st at uni.

Once you find the subject fun, learning is totally different.
Is he a poor student or a wealthy one....

I think the poor students are suffering from 2 years of lockdown and lack of eduction

Students and teachers alike endured throughout the Covid times. Horrendous times for many.

Because the grades were guessed. Kids in the first year of the pandemic had the best grades because nobody was going to predict a bad exam day.

My son got his grades today, devastated. Currently he is saying he's not doing any more school, so no idea what comes next.

Good luck to him, can he resit?

My mates daughter done well but has to resit her English

Sponsored Links
Back