Do you use crimps on solid conductors??

Ratchet crimpers never seem to go tight enough do they ;) - Yeah I only spent 9 months working for the MOD as the working methods were a bit too 'militant' to say the least. I'm used to using initiative, fault finding and fixing things myself, but they had different departments which did different little bits so soon as i saved up enough to build my music studio, i quit. Best thing i ever done!

Sponsored Links
of course! lol... its the million other numpties who dont have them set properly.

You can always tell the tightness of a screw though :p

I honestly cant remember having ever seen a failed crimp.

I have however seen literally hundreds of failed screwed connections.

Sponsored Links
As the ratio of screws to crimps is a million to one, it doesnt surprise me in the least.

Its not that im heavy with my tug tests (yes i do do them ;)) its just that (in respect of the screw:crimp ratio) too many crimps fail and they are almost always on solid conductors.

It must be your crimping technique then.

I'm going to bring my crimpers home from work tomorrow and make you a video.

By my comment it wasnt aimed at my work... its when i inspect other peoples.

I never use crimps, i like to spend a bit more time and do things a bit more proper ;)

We shall continue this tomorrow. I'm off to bed, so tomorrow morning I stand a chance of beating the 5 hours it took to drive to Hull today :mad:

I dont use them on single strand cable. Other than that they are fine.

I used to work for the MOD also (avionics - 3rd line maintenance) repairing parts off Tornado F3 & F4, Puma, Hercules, Lynx, Harrier, Hawk, Nimrod.....nearly every air platform that they fly.
All of these use crimp connectors in one way or another and after sitting through a great many training courses, including one called Precision Termination Technology (PTT), I can say that the only crimp failures that we were told about were due to poorly terminated ones and not for any other reason.

crimps can only be used in cabin areas and not in areas of severe thrust at an ambient temperture of 33 degress. The only exception is the 737 with drop down isds and class 9 crew areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back