Do you use RatedPeople?

Welcome Prism - Let us know how the Lofty goes ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks bud. Got the appt to see the client on monday. Fingers X'd. I'll post on here after then.

We used to use Ratedpeople as well as service magic, however a lot of the jobs that came in weren't worth enquiring about.
Other companies we're currently working with have had really good success rates from services such as RP/SM, etc though.

E: PRISM keep us all posted on how that visit goes. :)

Alright chaps. Got to the job yesterday morning (mon), at the appointed time, brought the architect with me too, and there was no answer! I wasn't impressed. Did manage to get there today, however, to view the job.
As I suspected, they want a spectacular job doing, requiring a staircase with 2 quarter landings, a bedroom and a bathroom. Also reconfigure a large arched window into a square window. 2 or 3 rooflights and a dormer.
I told the lady that a reasonable price for what she wanted was going to be £18-19k+, and that would include architects fee. For that she would get a v good standard of conversion.
Building regs & structural engineers fees, she wanted to sort herself anyway.
Her reply, "well I don't want to spend more than £15k"!!!
What do you guys reckon on that? The conversion will cover around 18-20m2.

Sponsored Links
Well thats what the 3 trades rated system is for,

If she gets all that for under 15k..well maybe we'll see her talking to Dom and Mel sometime in the future

I use Rated for all my work, ok I'm not to happy with the amount they charge and the fact that they could be taking £150 3x£50 for a single lead and two tradesmen have lost £50, maybe even all three if customer decides they don't want work done or they just wanted an idea so there mate round the corner can do it cheaper,
but I'm busy, not making pots but getting lots of follow ups, i would say that for every 2 jobs a customer asks me to do extra work, even had one lovely lady wants me to go and do some work on her Villa in spain !! Ole :)
As for ads in the paper costs about £200 maybe get 2 or 3 contacts so I sit there hawking the leads until one takes my fancy,
I think rated should only be used for little jobs, may cost you £4 or £5 and if you don't get it, no great loss

:D

Not sure what to do with this lads?
Don't forget, it's almost £50 per quarter to be a member, so the leads do need to pay. You could well pay for 5 leads before you are actually awarded a job, at £50 or thereabouts a throw, it will eat into already thin profit margins!
Sinbads prob got it right, maybe just hit the leads for under a tenner that give quick easy jobs, and hope for more follow on, and word of mouth recommendation work from them.
Guess I'll run with it for the 1st quarter and see what comes of it.
Cheers chaps.

Im not trying to hijack the thread - its just the most prominent for "rated people reviews" - so here is my review:
If you are looking for honest, reliable, trustworthy contractors, DONT TOUCH RATED PEOPLE.
They claim to be an upstanding, ethical, independent body when in fact , they little more than a glorified online directory who’s primary concern is the contractor that pays for the leads rather than the home owner that provides them.
In essence, if the work a contractor turns out to be substandard - for instance a few weeks after the work is finished and you've prematurely left a 5 star review -Rated People don't want to know. More often than not they wont even let you change the review!!
Outrageous, money-grabbing, uncaring, deceitful and unethical - just a few words that spring to mind. If you are in any doubt, google them for dozens of reviews that support this fact.

Its hardly surprising ,why should they care for the homeowner who provides no money for them.
As the trades have to pay up to £50 a go and they get multiple payments per lead it makes business sense who should be more important to them.
money grabbing ****s

Its hardly surprising ,why should they care for the homeowner who provides no money for them.
As the trades have to pay up to £50 a go and they get multiple payments per lead it makes business sense who should be more important to them.
money grabbing t**t

quite right, all of above, but, I do good honest clean sound work, and i've never been busier

I'll never use rated.com again. Do these people write their own reviews????
I have had quotes for the same job ranging from £1000 to £15000.
Even had intimidating calls from one builder to try and force me to use him.
Turns out that what they wanted to do was useless. Most of them said I should re-render my house as this is what was causing the damp patch upstairs. Got a surveyor in and a privately recommended builder who sorted out my chimney stack and the damp is gone!!!
Amazing what they think they can get away with when dealing with an "old" woman on her own

I've used rated people in the past, useful when moving to a new area, but find too many of the enquiries are a waste of time, had a row with them recently as they e-mailed an invoice for the quarterly subscription (which is paid in advance), phoned them to see about cancelling as I feel it's not worth it, only to be told that the payment had been taken out of my bank that morning........... I phoned up within half an hour of receiving the e-mail, I've filled in a customer "satisfaction" survey to tell them why I'm leaving!!!! cos they're robbing bastards!!

Rated people charge the Tradesman i.e. me £30 to 'introduce' me to a customer. The introduction being a name, telephone number and email address. When the customer doesn't respond to my call or email I am £30 out of pocket. Rated People do not refund this to me. They are an absolute CON and should be Shut Down. I have written to watchdog and my local Trading Standards. How do I know whether the 'customer' actually exists??

As a customer i have to say that im very happy with sites such as rated people. It allows me to post a job at a job which is within my budget. If you cant do the job for the price quoted then dont message me. Also remember that the customer gets more than one quote so there is a chance that they wont choose you. In addition where you have poor ratings or no ratings or are a millions miles away or dont include enough information then dont be expecting people to rush to get in touch with you . Not everyone knows people who can recommend someone to do the job they want which is why sites like this are used

In addition ive had the situation where i posted a job on this website and it was up for about a week before someone replied. In that period of time i had found someone else to do it. I very much doubt that members of the public are posting jobs that do not exist and are deliberately going out to waste your time. I didnt have internet access therefore i couldnt cancel the job immediately. If you are interested in something then message as soon as possible. Im not going to hang around waiting for a reply to a posting as this may never come

Sponsored Links
Back