Doctors threaten to quit NHS over shortage of protective kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
“the government hasn’t kept its side of the bargain with NHS staff by not having enough [personal protective equipment] available to safeguard the health of doctors and nurses”.

Has any government?, the shortage is after all, Global.

Sponsored Links
Why didnt we join the EU procurement effort to secure PPE equipment ?

Well they marshalled their resources and buying power to procure all they need.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_523

The joint procurement of personal protective equipment launched by the European Commission to address the coronavirus crisis has proven successful.

Producers made offers covering and in some cases even exceeding the quantities requested by the Member States that take part in the procurement, for every single item requested. The joint procurement covers masks type 2 and 3, gloves, goggles, face-shields, surgical masks and overalls.

The EU donated 50 tons of equipment to China in Jan to help.
China is now sending stuff to EU
Brexiteers will conveniently ignore the value of collaboration, theyve spent years screaming 'take back control'

Nurse-protection-gear-inArticle_620.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...irus-protection-they-need-and-what-theyve-got

Uk recommendations are a joke and staff will start to take decisions themselves.

He said this was forming a “wicked combination” with the problem of up to 50% staff sickness rates in some trusts, which is “an unprecedented absence rate”.

Sponsored Links
Uk recommendations are a joke

My neice has been given the following training:

Suspected patient to wear mask

Healthcare worker to wear mask, gloves, disposable apron.
Mask to be single use and disposed after each patient.

No full head protection, no full body cover.

Nb this is for Xray and CT department of suspected CV patients - not a CV ward.
my niece says covid19 displays distinct and unique lung symptoms and so diagnosis is pretty certain from a scan. My niece has dealt with quite a few of these this week. Obv my sister is very worried about her daughter working in that environment.

My neice has been given the following training:

Suspected patient to wear mask

Healthcare worker to wear mask, gloves, disposable apron.
Mask to be single use and disposed after each patient.

No full head protection, no full body cover.

Nb this is for Xray and CT department of suspected CV patients - not a CV ward.
my niece says covid19 displays distinct and unique lung symptoms and so diagnosis is pretty certain from a scan. My niece has dealt with quite a few of these this week. Obv my sister is very worried about her daughter working in that environment.

Try wearing that when someone is coughing up sputum and you are trying to intubate them. Its aerolosized now so you need a fitter mask and goggles or you will get large viral load. I wouldn't venture near a hospital unless I was kitted up. Asking NHS staff to put their lives on the line is asking alot from them.

Remember this.

ET98-V1q-XQAIMLUG.jpg

The EU is issuing vouchers to help countries to cover costs. Fictional money like our gov is using really but being bigger can justify more than the uk can. Don't know how it compares with the trillions offered in the USA.

Not at all, I still dispute Galahads claim that the NHS didn't order any PPE because Boris didn't tell them to and refused them the money to do so in any case.

Me too but do think they could have started sorting things a lot sooner and mentioning logistics is getting rather weak. It's a nice way of saying coming but ain't sure when and it's still being used.

When China went into lockdown why was bojo not releasing funds for PPE equipment and ventialors just in case?

The NHS has been short of funds - why would the managers who have to work within limited means buy extra equipment when they are hard pressed to meet the current needs?

It requires direction and crucially funds from the top which was lacking.

Why didnt we join the EU procurement effort to secure PPE equipment ?

Well they marshalled their resources and buying power to procure all they need.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_523

The joint procurement of personal protective equipment launched by the European Commission to address the coronavirus crisis has proven successful.

Producers made offers covering and in some cases even exceeding the quantities requested by the Member States that take part in the procurement, for every single item requested. The joint procurement covers masks type 2 and 3, gloves, goggles, face-shields, surgical masks and overalls.

If we'd joined the EU procurement, we would be at the back of the queue for distribution, by concentrating on our own efforts, we will get PPE quicker than a lot of EU countries.

If the EU have all the PPE they need and everything is going swimmingly, why did the French seize two truckloads of PPE bound for Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back