dodgey open flue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the other day i was working on a open flued hideaway in the cellar. the flue came out of the top of the boiler in what looked like twin wall and went into a 45° cast iron bend and then disapears into the wall. on the bend was what looked like an inspection plate secured with 2 bolts, the seal was completely rotten (could see light from one side to the other). the bolts were rusted in and i was unable to remove them. in this situation what would yo do?

Sponsored Links
Products of combustion leaking into building immediatley dangerous.. in the past it would have been allowed to kos (fire cement) it up but not anymore. so would need to be stripped out replaced or repaired using appropriate materials

Sponsored Links

Seems like gas by name but not by nature. Potentially dangerous installation. In other words turn the b****** off.

If products of combustion are leaking into the building from the flue.
This is immediately Dangerous (Reg GSR 34)
Make safe or carry out remedial work.

thts obviousy nixt, i actually capped it off as its id muppet! the reason i ask is i wasnt sure if it was ok to use fire cement and i didnt want to sway anyone by puttin tht! also wanted to know if anyone would try to remove and re-seal it and with what?

gaz are you BG?

if you are then remember that the flue is not covered by contract on open flue boilers. organise a quote and leave it well alone mate.

PDI is old terminology and younger guys would not have hard it... strip out bolts and use replacement seal which where usually asbestos rope which there is now and asbestos free type. OR kos and say it was already like that..

baxpoti - what would you of recommended then? a new boiler? a new flue?

every1 seems to be jus sayin the obvious that it's id and would make save, but as ya can appreciate i cant jus go on a service cap the boiler off and say thats me done

nickso - yea i am pal, i didnt even do that as the house is really big and runs up a old chimney (boiler was in the cellar and the house would be like 4 stories high) hes gettin a quote from us for a new boiler :LOL:

wait for the bg boo boys

I would say that providing the flue is suitable (diameter/lenght (condensation risk)) and has the correct terminal/catchment space/inspection access etc there would be no reason not to repair the inspection cover with suitable fibre rope and fixings.

thts obviousy nixt, i actually capped it off as its id muppet! the reason i ask is i wasnt sure if it was ok to use fire cement and i didnt want to sway anyone by puttin tht! also wanted to know if anyone would try to remove and re-seal it and with what?

You asked the question 'what should I do?' and you got a reply. If you don't like the answer, be more specific.

Signed: A muppet who doesn't need to ask elementary questions about gas work whilst having the capacity to spell words correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back