dodgy email - be warned

B

breezer

just had a very dodgy email

titled "paycom -support"

it basicaly says thanks for your subscription of £30 which will be taken every month, from some account number that claims to be yours its a subscription to an "adult site"

now of course i have not subscribed to such a thing, BUT it comes with an .exe attachment

exe will mean it will open up and do something (dont know what as i havent opend it) but if you do open it it will be your fault as you chose to open it.

any decent company sending recipts will not send an .exe attachment so if you get one delete it.

paycom.net ARE a genuine company, but they are aware of this happening, see http://www.paycom.net/security_phishing.html

any one else getting one take care, my advice, tell your other half in case they see it (thinking you really have subscribed to an adult site)

Sponsored Links
If related to software post... Have you set up Zone Alarm to 'Quarantine' or 'Allow' different types of em attachments?

ZapEm.jpg

;)

Sponsored Links
SamSpade ...
Have read that '... most personal firewalls are snake oil... ' Use of 'most' seemed to infer 'not all personal firewalls are snake oil... ' So there was an angle somewhere IMHO...
Several broken links .... Has the site ever been updated since 2001'ish quotes are from 1998 in one case??

I am sure ZA was generally found to be one of the better personal firewalls.
Not on a 'network', just amateur user really who has tried pretty much all the 'firewall test sites' all seems fine...
What else can one do?
The thing appears to block certain activities as claimed.

Some said the Titanic was unsinkable, a few of them must have been experts .....
:D

empip said:
SamSpade ...
Have read that '... most personal firewalls are snake oil... ' Use of 'most' seemed to infer 'not all personal firewalls are snake oil... ' So there was an angle somewhere IMHO...
Dunno.

Several broken links .... Has the site ever been updated since 2001'ish quotes are from 1998 in one case??
Dunno - I only use it for it's "Do Stuff" stuff....

I am sure ZA was generally found to be one of the better personal firewalls.
I use the non-freeware version - Zone Labs Integrity Desktop, chosen by my employer...

Not on a 'network', just amateur user really who has tried pretty much all the 'firewall test sites' all seems fine...
What else can one do?
Next time you replace your PC (or now, if you have an old working one), get a 2nd network interface for it, install Linux and have a real firewall....

I've kind of said it before, but any firewall (hardware/software) is only as good as your knowledge of what it actually does and what it takes to configure it correctly for your setup.

it has nothing to do with the email, that only arrived just before i typed it, zone alarm has been like this for a few days, (but i only see it when i turn the pc on

Sponsored Links
Back