Does everyone bet?

Lottery tickets are effectively a tax on being stupid, but at least a large part of the funds goes to good causes.

Betting through bookies is a mug's game, but as a hobby it's harmless. There are gambling addicts, but if wasn't gambling they'd only get addicted to something else.

Sponsored Links
Lottery tickets are effectively a tax on being stupid

Also not wishing to go on about the lottery, are you saying you never buy a ticket?

[/quote]Betting through bookies is a mug's game, but as a hobby it's harmless.
Its a'hobby' that can easily get out of hand that I can personally testify to.

Sorry, my quotes seem to be a bit messed up there.

i don't gamble noseall..for money at least, any type of gambling establishment is a business and the odds HAVE to be stacked up in their favour over all in order to continue trading, simple maths and economics, there can be no honest gamblers that think they are 'UP' overall, not possible!

we all take risks/gambkles though every time we cross the road, pull out from a junction etc etc etc, some are better at it than others and lose less frequently.

take what you want from that attempt at philosophy :LOL:

Also not wishing to go on about the lottery, are you saying you never buy a ticket?
No, I wasn't saying that I never buy a ticket, but if you're asking me if I ever buy a ticket, then the answer is that I don't, because it would be a stupid thing to do.

Betting through bookies is a mug's game, but as a hobby it's harmless.
Its a'hobby' that can easily get out of hand that I can personally testify to.
I said "as a hobby it's harmless". If it gets out of hand, then it's not a hobby.

Sponsored Links
£19 a week on lottery ..£10 on the national. Ten bob a hole at golf £1 the winner. Vegas a few times and set limit of couple hundred quid a day secret is to walk away when winning instead of thinking you now have more to lose.

Had a mate who was addicted to those roulette machines in bookies he used to spin £96 a time seen him down 4k in a day and then bounce right back and be up thousands..... crazy for a normal working guy to bet that sort of money...

The wife tells me, a friend of hers can spend up to eight hours per day playing slot machines in a local arcade. She doesn't think she has a problem and claims she only loses around a tenner a day! :eek:

young barman in pub asked me to put few quid in bandit for him.
Not visible from bar.
He then told me what to hold nudge etc purely from the sounds it was making telling me exactly what was on the reels would never believe it if i had not done it

Learnt many, many years ago the only winner is the bookie.

Same here. I used to go in every day in my youth and put on doubles and roll ups in the hope of winning a fortune.

You are lucky to get 1 winner in a few weeks and I decided to put my money to better use.:cool:

The old man told me in my youth never to set foot in a betting shop because you will come out poorer than when you went in,only piece of advice i took notice of.The only bets i take is £5 a season on fantasy football and 50p a week on the lottery in a syndicate,oh and life, the biggest gamble of all.

I love a flutter on the GeeGees and quite often go to the races it's a great day out on Arc weekend Paris is great.
I found in my youth that the gambling aspect can take over your life and drinking time :(
I don't pretend to ever be a bog better but I did have some tasty sized ones. Anything up to a Monkey.
Of course they was good days and bad ones, I remember once going in to a local bookies with £5 in may pocket after a few unsuccessful small bets was reduced to my BFH. But had a bit of luck and ended up walking out £1.5k happy days.
But there has been the dark times too, that you try to forget. But I was lucky enough to have shares in a three horses one of them did okay at it's level and won five races before being sold on and got some quite good info from the stables on others.
But that's straying from the OP
I love a bet more in moderation now, was lucky enough to see the potential in See The Stars, while everybody was punting on O'Briens horses.
Now it's a super star and hopefully has a tilt at the Arc.
But at unless you already have a vast amount of money the only winner will be the bookie.
I think it's great when you see a 25p accumulator has won someone 50k
It can change peoples live normally for the worst.

The main problem with gambling is the stigma attached to it. Mention to someone you play poker and they look at you like you've got a disease.
For some people being easily addicted is genetics. I have a friend who seems addicted to everything he trys...smoking, drinking, gambing, fruities...etc.
I think I'm quite lucky as I don't seem to have this addictive personality trait?.
I used to quite enjoy poker, and if you play on low stack tables on the net and your good with maths you will mostly earn money. Problem being its not alot. A few hours might produce £10. So its no get rich scheme, just a bit of fun. I like the occassional gamble, but I don't play the lottery, the clue is in the name ;) I prefer a calculated risk, usually with football accumulators. The key is never to bet on a single outcome. If you cover your bet you'll never lose alot.
I don't play to get rich , I play for the fun of it. You should never bet expecting to win, you should always expect to lose. Being a pessimist is a good trait for gambling :D

Some 40 odd years ago, I was running a small Civil engineering project with a small gang of men. There was a betting shop across the road and the men had a bet every lunchtime. One day the ganger said "Give me a pound and have a bet" I thought "why not". After work that evening he gave me £6 winnings. I said that I would never give it back to the bookies, and I have'n't.

I lost £28 to the bookies yesterday :cry:

I have 2 bets a year, and lost this one.

Sponsored Links
Back