Does everyone bet?

£80 on the lotto last night for 4 numbers.
That pound coin earned its worth for me.
Probably be a while before I get another 4 up, but hey, theres always the chance of getting 6. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well done Conny, I have had four numbers a few times, my biggest pay out was £112,some while ago.
4 numbers out of 6, is as I look at it 2/3 of the way there. ;)
Managed £10 on dream number last night, better than nowt!

Thanks Wotan.
If I get my money back on average I'm happy, you know, £10 win every 10 weeks so lat night was a bonus.
Congratulations on the 'Dream Number'.
Never done it myself.

the odds of winning the lottery is something like 1/50 so for every £10 you'll get 20p back. The odds are well stacked against you. You should play the pools instead, not only are the odds better anyway, but someone with a little football knowledge can seriously increase your odds.

Sponsored Links
I think gambling, without having to leave the sanctity of a warm office or comfy chair, is lethal.

At least in t' old days you had to trudge to the bookies to place a bet.

in answer to the op.
No not everyone bets. I don't bet on anything lottery, pools, horses etc i work hard for my money and i'm not about to waste it on a maybe!.

I totally agree with the comment "the bookie always wins". Fortunately, if you get your head around betfair you can actually be a bookie, by taking bets yourself and off-setting them aswell. It took a while to understand it (with the help of a proffesional gambler) but it can pay off. You also need a good understanding of horse racing and exploiting poor odds / good odds on any betting spectable.

I did lose a lot on Saturday, but since 05/04/08 Im in the black. Its not life changing but its more than enough to loose £11 grand on any given day. 2 weeks of daily losses like that Id quit, but the odds are so far in your favour it is very unlikely to happen.

Paul

The situation where everyone wins/no one loses, as far as gambling is concerned is false. Money has to change hands otherwise the system breaks down.

I guess there is argument that you could 'earn a living' gambling, but i believe this to be all bluster, especially when i hear the story from a gambler.

Where there are odds that almost guarantee a win, usually means having to lay out a million quid just to get one pound back. When this sort of gambling occurs it makes you wonder if there are more worth while things to pass your time like watching paint dry.

The only gamblers that don't lose are those that use other peoples money, i.e. stockbrokers.:cool:

I don't have a problem with people gambling - i can understand it can be a problem for some people but i don't get that myself. I don't bet much but we have a day at the races a few times a year and have a flutter on the horses there but very rarely go into a bookies at any other time. We see it as an enjoyable day out and take whatever money we can afford to lose and if we come back with some money left thats great, if not we've had a good day out. Problems only come when you start betting more than you can afford to lose! More often than not we come back with similar amounts of money to what we went with - and when you take in account the food and drink, thats a fairly successful day - most i've ever won was about £100 on a £5 bet. Don't do the lottery as the odds are so huge although i have bought tickets on occassions in the past - won about £65 with four numbers once.

Sponsored Links
Back