Does level of water in cold tank affect shower pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a shower fed from the cold tank and hot cylinder, no pump (water-saving!). please excuse any terminology errors here..

Plumber replaced part of the feed to the cold tank last week and his new pipe rises a little higher - about an inch - before entering the tank. The RHS of the ballcock is therefore a little higher but this tilts the ballcock lever so the water level in the tank is about 3 inches lower than it was before.

Can this affect the water pressure for the shower and bath - they seem worse? 3 inches isn't lots but the pressure aint great as it is (tank is three floors up, one floor above the shower). I did have to clear a lot of crud out of the tap filters to get them running at all after the work. At first some taps let almost no water out but improved a lot when I removed the lumps of rust and copper salts blocking the filters (the system has been out of use and drained down for a year - this is not the plumber's fault!).

He says bend the ballcock lever, which I didn't want to do as three inches is a lot and the rubber flange may not marry that well after that. I did consider doing this myself but felt I would then be annoyed if I broke the thing fixing his error.

Is there any other reason to worry that the cold tank now has a lower volume?

I would appreciate some wisdom on this. My recollection of basic physics suggests the head of water should affect the pressure although maybe not by much...

I usually do all plumbing myself but we found some leaking lead pipe (!) when a gas safety check was being done and I'm living 100 miles away so it seemed best just to have someone else do it. I would never have left the inlet at such a different height but I'd like to know if it matters at all.

thanks in advance!
Mashie :confused: trying to remember physics lessons from 40 years ago...

Sponsored Links
The water pressure at your shower head is determined by the vertical distance between the water level in the tank and the shower head. Reducing the distance will reduce pressure, and vice versa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back