1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Does plasterboard have glass fibre in it?

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by opps, 30 Oct 2018.

1. opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had to rectify some work done by a cowboy builder at my stepson's on Sunday.

Part of the work involved ripping the tiles off a plasterboard boxed section. The tiles came off quite easily because the cowboy hadn't used SBR. The plasterboard came off easily because of the leak.

For the first time in my life however, I looked at the plaster board and could seen what look like 3mm long nylon threads sticking out of the broken edges of the plasterboard.

Sorry not the best of photos. Zoomed in to maximum

plasterboard.png

The light glistening from the pile of plasterboard wouldn't have looked out of place in a 1980's disco but I honestly cant recall seeing anything like it before.

Toby Smith (of Harefield), the guy who did the work originally, strikes me as being the kind of person that buys the cheapest products possible, safe in the knowledge that when the bailiffs turn up at his registered address, his parents will claim that he doesn't live there. I don't imagine that he would have paid extra for reinforced plasterboard.

2. lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the link but this was what looks like bog standard paper backed plasterboard. The guy was a t!T, I can't imagine that he would pay extra for a bendable plasterboard given that he was using it for boxing in pipe work.

I am starting wonder if the strands might be fungal. I have ripped down numerous plasterboard walls and ceilings over the years, none of them were damp though.

4. flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps he didn't pay for it at all - the reinforced type was all that was available at the time of the armed robbery.

5. 23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pretty sure the pink fire line boards have visible fibres in when you snap em.