Don't you hate Lane Hoggers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do some motorists have to drive in the overtaking lane, even though they are not overtaking anyone and why do they think I'm racing with them, if I just undertake them to carry on with my commute. I find sunny days are worst for getting frustrated, when I have a idiot in front of me, blocking the lane.

Sponsored Links
oooh just wait til joe90 sees this, he loves a good amble down the outside lane.

Far too many think that life is a 'competition' or a 'race' and live their lives accordingly. Most people refer to the overtaking lane as the 'fast lane'.

My pet hate on motorways are the middle lane hoggers. There can be a gap of a mile on the inside lane , yet they seem to think they should stick to the middle lane. Idiots,,, they've obviously never read a highway code in their lives.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure some must get an ego boost by driving in the overtaking lane. But why get offended, if some then undertakes you.

My pet hate on motorways are the middle lane hoggers. There can be a gap of a mile on the inside lane , yet they seem to think they should stick to the middle lane. Idiots,,, they've obviously never read a highway code in their lives.

I do agree with you. But I find policing of motorways hypocritical.

If the Maximum speed limit on a motorway is 70. Then how can anyone overtake another car in lane 1 or 2, as majority of people do drive at 70. And I'm sure if everyone did keep to the speed limit, you would have long delays.

LGV's are limited to 56mph maximum, which is why they usually stick to the inside lane. Last 7.5 tonne vehicle I used to drive , had cruise control. On the motorway, you set it to max and just steered the thing. Probably as easy as a car to drive on the motorway, but a fair bit of concentration needed off motorways. Height and width restrictions etc meant careful planning of journeys. Sat Nav was of no help there. I downloaded width and height locations to mine and it would still plan routes where low bridges were. I was down in Surrey once and had to travel from a hotel to a town about 6 miles away. Because of height restrictions, I actually drove 23 miles. ;) ;)

If the Maximum speed limit on a motorway is 70. Then how can anyone overtake another car in lane 1 or 2, as majority of people do drive at 70. And I'm sure if everyone did keep to the speed limit, you would have long delays.

In my experience, unless it is very clear, most are driving less than 70 in lane 1, especially the lorries and coaches.

If everyone did the speed limit supposedly there'd be less delays when busy, as you wouldn't get the concertina effect. That's why they have varialble speed limits on the M25 and M42.

I dont understand the logic of overtaking, so am in lane 1 then i go to lane 2 then lane 3 then back to lane 2 then back to lane 1, then back to lane 2 then back to lane 3 then back to lane 2 then back to lane 1, god this is even more boring to type than it is to read and on a par with actually doing said lane changes

Usually lane 2 is not a consistent 70MPH so I get to were am going much faster at 70MPH in lane 3, if anyone comes up behind me cos they wanna do 80MPH I simply move into lane 2 then back to lane 3 when they passed, but depending on how busy lane 3 is I may well just stay in lane 2, lane 1 usually too slow

I dont understand the logic of overtaking, so am in lane 1 then i go to lane 2 then lane 3 then back to lane 2 then back to lane 1, then back to lane 2 then back to lane 3 then back to lane 2 then back to lane 1, god this is even more boring to type than it is to read and on a par with actually doing said lane changes

Usually lane 2 is not a consistent 70MPH so I get to were am going much faster at 70MPH in lane 3, if anyone comes up behind me cos they wanna do 80MPH I simply move into lane 2 then back to lane 3 when they passed, but depending on how busy lane 3 is I may well just stay in lane 2, lane 1 usually too slow

Do you know how many people you probably annoy while doing this? By the time you moved to lane 2 to give way to the person trying to overtake you. He would have been slowed down by you and fumeing, becuse your the 10th driver who thinks its easier to stay in lane 3 while driving at 70MPH.

Do you know how many people you probably annoy while doing this? By the time you moved to lane 2 to give way to the person trying to overtake you. He would have been slowed down by you and fumeing, becuse your the 10th driver who thinks its easier to stay in lane 3 while driving at 70MPH.

No your wrong I use my rear view mirror and move over before they get to me

So I maintain my 70 MPH and don't cause any accidents or get in anyone's way that's why I don't understand the logic of lanes on a motorway

No one has the right to get annoyed with someone for observing legal speed limits.

If lane 2 and 3 all travel at 70mph - you can't get a collision - it's impossible. It's the idiots that speed that cause the problem. I do everyone a favour and block them down to 70mph.

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

Sort of makes you breaking the highway code there too :p

If lane 2 and 3 all travel at 70mph - you can't get a collision - it's impossible. It's the idiots that speed that cause the problem. I do everyone a favour and block them down to 70mph.

I'm sure the police would have an issue with that, what about inaccuracys of different speedos?

What if your actually doing 68? And the person doing 70 is actually doing 72?

People don't make the rules, the law does, stick to it.

Lanes 2 and 3 are overtaking lanes.

Sponsored Links
Back