Door entry system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to replace a faulty door entry handset, without success. My flat is one of 10 in the block. The handset micrphone is faulty, and the handset needs to be replaced.

The system is over 10 years old; there are only two wires going to the old handset and the terminals to which they are wired, are not marked in any way. There is 12v DC across the two wires. This wiring/voltage is the same in all other flats.

I have purchased a Fermax Universal handset as a replacement - it has 5 terminals;
1: door opener & mic supply
2: Telephone mic
3: Common
4:Call
6: Telephone speaker
There are also two jumpers on the new handset;
Common Ground - which can be set to either Common(-) or Non Common (+) ground, and
Electronic or Buzer Call

Can anyone advise me how the new handset should be wired as the system I have is not in the many examples shown in the instructions (and all these appear to have four or five wire connections)?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
hi, are you sure the existing system runs on 2 wires??, been fitting entry systems for years and have never seen any like that, especially with the age it is, can t in a million years see that universal handset working, most systems need the following, all 5 wires, 2 for speech, 1 common, 1 call wire, 1 door release wire, there are some variations, but not 2 wire, any names or markings on the existing unit in your flat? description?, alan

scottydog said:
Hi,
I am trying to replace a faulty door entry handset, without success. My flat is one of 10 in the block.

Speak to your management company that looks after the block of flats. It'll be their responsibiltiy to maintain the door entry system.

HandyJon said:
scottydog said:
Hi,
I am trying to replace a faulty door entry handset, without success. My flat is one of 10 in the block.

Speak to your management company that looks after the block of flats. It'll be their responsibiltiy to maintain the door entry system.

unless the flat is private. otherwise speak to local housing company

Sponsored Links
hi again, think i have found what you might have there. I believe it is based on a telephone system, ie like in a small office, shop etc, each flat is the equivilent of an extension on the system, just like when you phone an office, and the operator can then cause a telephone in another office to ring, ie call the handset, you then have 2 way speech between the handsets, spoke to my mate who fits telephone systems, he is going to see if he can find out any more details / contacts, I would not try and fit the universal handset to this as could damage the small exchange which would have to be somwhere in the building to allow this 2 wire system to work. alan

loggan said:
hi again, think i have found what you might have there. I believe it is based on a telephone system, ie like in a small office, shop etc, each flat is the equivilent of an extension on the system, just like when you phone an office, and the operator can then cause a telephone in another office to ring, ie call the handset, you then have 2 way speech between the handsets, spoke to my mate who fits telephone systems, he is going to see if he can find out any more details / contacts, I would not try and fit the universal handset to this as could damage the small exchange which would have to be somwhere in the building to allow this 2 wire system to work. alan

Thanks all for the feedback so far. The flats are all owned. Building managers say they have never had anything to do with the controlled access! Look forward to any further advice you can offer.

I have an italian system (originally) like that. When you lift the handset it diverts the wires from chime to amp. Had an electronics engineer change it to a more modern system, had to change both ends. Luckily it had been run in 2-pair, but even so, not easy.

You might have more luck replacing the ?mike? in your old handset. You may need an oldish electronics hobbyist as I couldn't find anything on the market to do the job like the old one.

edited to say, do you mean 2 wires going to the handset but is there a separate box with chimes and door release button in it? If so this will probably have more wires going into it.

And I think the management company is trying it on, are they saying they aren't responsible for common areas and equipment? Like the stair lights and the front door? Just because they claim they've "never" done it before doesn't mean they shouldn't do it now. I bet they charge you plenty and make a handsome profit. See if you've got a copy of the management contract.

scottydog said:
loggan said:
Thanks all for the feedback so far. The flats are all owned. Building managers say they have never had anything to do with the controlled access! Look forward to any further advice you can offer.

Get it in writing, check with your neighbours. Sounds thier saying that everyone could have a different system. Either way, I guess you'll pay in the end!

Bazdaa

"Please Mr Manager, the roof is leaking"

"We've never had anything to do with the roof before"

"The walls have fallen down"

"We've never had anything to do with the walls before"

"The water pipes have burst"

"We never had anything to do with the pipes before"

Re door entry their are three main types of systems

Analogue
Digital
Two Wire

All three are different and in most manufactures not universal in using the same hand set. What is the make you have removed, i doubt it would be fermax, also suprised you have a two wire system installed that long ago. If you are struggling ring an expert

www.safelink.co.uk

the best seller in the country for door entry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back