Doorbell Chime - Mains vs Battery operated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering to change my mains operated Door Chime to a battery operated one. I've found a Byron one that is battery operated but has the wired bell connection which is ideal for me. The main reason i'm thinking to replace it is because I get worried everytime i touch the transformer in my current bell chime housing. It's always hot. not warm but hot. The plastic housing of the transformer also looks rather swollen too and it's a bit concerning. I'm thinking that this transformer is constantly taking mains 220+ v and converting to 8V for the doorbell. So technically it's never actually getting a rest from converting that voltage. Whereas, if i use a battery operated one, there is no voltage conversion in that and it should be safer right? Just wanted to know what others thought about this. Or am i just worrying for no reason? is this transformer fine?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In the main a transformer taking no power should not get hot, only when it is supplying something will it get hot, there are exceptions like the 110 volt site transformer where to reduce weight they are poorly made and waste power, but yours should not get hot unless there is a fault.

So either door bell stuck on or there is a fault with transformer, with ding dong bell switching off can make it ding as easy as switching on so could be powered all the time and power removed to make it chime but more likely faulty transformer.

Last edited:
I am considering to change my mains operated Door Chime to a battery operated one.

What a stupid idea. Electricity from batteries costs many times more than from the mains.

The main reason i'm thinking to replace it is because I get worried everytime i touch the transformer in my current bell chime housing. It's always hot. not warm but hot.

If there is a fault causing the transformer to run hot fix it. Changing to batteries without fixing it could cause the batteries to run out daily.

I'm thinking that this transformer is constantly taking mains 220+ v and converting to 8V for the doorbell. So technically it's never actually getting a rest from converting that voltage.

It is designed for that. Just like transformers in sub stations constantly converting thousands of volts to 240.

What a stupid idea. Electricity from batteries costs many times more than from the mains.
It does, whilst electricity is being used for something useful.

The arithmetic obviously changes if one compares a transformer powered 24/7 365 days a year with batteries that have to supply power for. maybe, a second or two once every day or three.

I don't know to what extent 'the arithmetic changes', since I don't know off the top of my head how much power and unloaded bell transformer uses - but there clearly will be 'a change'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It does, whilst electricity is being used for something useful.

The arithmetic obviously changes if one compares a transformer powered 24/7 365 days a year with batteries that have to supply power for. maybe, a second or two once every day or three.

I don't know to what extent 'the arithmetic changes', since I don't know off the top of my head how much power and unloaded bell transformer uses - but there clearly will be 'a change'.

Kind Regards, John

Very true, and one could measure the transformer unloaded power of course. But there are other compelling reasons not to use batteries, they go flat at the wrong time, they can leak nasty chemicals, and are an environmental nightmare.

Mains has a slight advantage in that even when your batteries run flat it still works.

Very true, and one could measure the transformer unloaded power of course.
Indeed one could - and the answer would obviously not be zero, and might well not even be 'insignificant'. Even 1 Watt for 24/7/365 adds up to around £1.40 per year, which would probably buy a battery or three.... not to mention the up-front cost of buying a transformer.
But there are other compelling reasons not to use batteries, they go flat at the wrong time, they can leak nasty chemicals, and are an environmental nightmare.
All true, although, as has been observed, there are also some 'upsides' of using batteries. In practice, for a 'new install', the most 'compelling' reason for many people for using batteries (for many applications) is probably the absence of need for any mains wiring etc.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back