Dormer extension above original ridge height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a complete novice to building work that requires planning permission.

I'm planning on doing an extension on my semi-detached property. The extension is a double extension to the side, a single extension to the rear, and hopefully a loft conversion with dormer addition.

My query is regarding the dormer. I've had an architect come and look at the loft and he said it will be too low to convert into a room as it is. So I showed him a dormer from another property in the street (of the same size and layout) which has its roof extending about 2ft above their original ridge line. He said that whilst that is indeed possible to build, planning might be tricky on it since it goes higher than the original height of the house. He said we can submit an application and see what happens.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this type of situation and, if so, do you have any tips on appeasing the planners to make sure the new height of the dormer is acceptable?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Kind regards,

Sponsored Links
Your architect is right - it is unlikely to get planning approval. Might be wortt a punt as you can point to a close-by precedent, but don't hold your breath.

You could submit a planning application to replace the roof and thereby raise the ridge. Maybe if you do this the dormer won't be so necessary.

Regards
Geoff

Yes you could pay your architect to submit an application on a whim, contrary to the local planning policies and "see what happens". He'll love that.

If it gets approval, I'll come and build it.
(T&C's apply)

There is no such thing as a precedent in planning, if the thing contravenes policy.

There is no such thing as a precedent in planning, if the thing contravenes policy.

Whilst strictly true, I get to review many applications and attend appeal hearings where the developers push the use of precedents.

Regards
Geoff

Sponsored Links
Developers might push it, but planners rightly resist it, as it carries no weight.

One crap looking extension or loft conversion does not warrant more of the same.

In this case, a semi, it would look awful, and their architect is giving poor advice.

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the advice. If I was to replace the roof and raise the height, would this be permitted as it is a semi detached? If so, is it possible to incorporate a flat roof into the new roof design at the rear of the property, instead of creating an additional dormer to accommodate a bedroom upstairs? Or would it have to be pitched either side as it is now, just at a higher level?

Many thanks again,

Unless the street scene is on a hill already and the eaves do not align already I expect the chances of changing the roof and eaves height of a semi to be approximately 1%.

raising the roof may be an acceptable option to the planners, but they don't look very favourably on flat roofs unless they have architectural merit

Unless the street scene is on a hill already and the eaves do not align already I expect the chances of changing the roof and eaves height of a semi to be approximately 1%.

The property is at the top of the street in a cul de sac but the street is on an incline yes. All of the semi detached houses are at different heights. Does this increase the chance to greater than 1%?

raising the roof may be an acceptable option to the planners, but they don't look very favourably on flat roofs unless they have architectural merit

OK thank you for the information. What constitutes architectural merit? Would a roof lift option such as this be more acceptable, where the red bit is the new roof......?

roof-lift-conversion.gif

Fmt must be having an unusually jolly day if he is giving a 1% chance of raising a main roof.

I'm much more pragmatic and would give it -1%.

-101% for a mansard roof on half a semi.

But go for it, and post back in eight weeks.

OK thank you for the information. What constitutes architectural merit? Would a roof lift option such as this be more acceptable, where the red bit is the new roof......?

roof-lift-conversion.gif
On a semi? Are you insane?

roof-lift-conversion.gif
On a semi? Are you insane?

Well since, as I stated in my original post, I am a complete novice in this area I don't know whether I am insane or not. I'm just trying to suggest ideas that I have found on google just to make sure that I'm exploring every avenue. If I knew anything about any of this then I guess I wouldn't be asking for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back