Dormer extension above original ridge height?

What constitutes architectural merit?

Very good question, you are suggesting a box dormer on a semi, creating any architectural merit on the whole thing is going to be difficult.

Sponsored Links
What constitutes architectural merit?

Very good question, you are suggesting a box dormer on a semi, creating any architectural merit on the whole thing is going to be difficult.

Lol that's a good point and a dilemma I'm struggling with. It would be financially better for us to extend the house we are in rather than move, but we really want to put a fourth bedroom on the property. A bit stuck to say the least.

Thanks for your advice though

Other advice might be too get a better architect if he is not advising you properly

speak with the p[lanners see if you can come up with something that is acceptable to them. Nothing to do with me but I have seen a loft that is essentially a flat roof but looks like two gables side by side. Not going to be much use to you with limited headroom, but it's about thinking creatively.
How much short are you on headroom as is.

Sponsored Links
Hi Luke,

I am in the same predicament as you, what was the final outcome of your extension above the ridgeline? I have a bungalow, and the plan is to create a double dormer above the ridgeline as there currently is not enough height. Any thoughts from you would be appreciated. The good thing is that my lounge where the dormer would be is at the back of the house and would not interrupt the street scene.

With thanks

Woah, old thread resurrection!!!

Even though your dormer would be positioned to the rear, it would still impact the street scene as the ridge line would be higher. How much of an impact this would be is dependant on how much additional height you require.

If designed and built correctly, it should not look that odd. You just decide whether the whole ridge is raised or only a portion of it, depending on your dormer design.

Hi There,

Yeah did wonder is this thread would be resurrected. Phew, I do appreciate it.

It is an odd one, I live in a off-street shared drive, almost like a private road in a detached bungalow. The dormer will hardly visible, if at all, from the road, I could work out angular calculations of visibility if need be. Only one neighbour, who will not object. At the back is a railway line so the houses on the other side are too far away to matter.

Probably only require 400mm, though more would be better if possible. The pitch of the roof is too shallow currently to add a dormer with height, so either a raised ridge or lower the current ceiling. Only the portion of the dormer would the ridge be raised, and for the entire dormer ridge to be enough room, if the entire house this would cause carnage.

I was wondering what Luke did in the end, sounded a bit like my conundrum.

Considering he hasn’t been online since May 2016, I don’t think you’ll be getting a response anytime soon. May be worth a private message to him.

OK many thanks!!! My architect is looking into the design, plus I know an ex-planning officer from my council to provide advice. Fingers crossed we can make a strong case, reducing the downstairs ceiling seems to me a nightmare in the making..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back