1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

DotGov Directory?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by leakydave, 3 Mar 2009.

1. leakydave

leakydave

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was contacted by a company today called "DotGov Directory" www.dotgovsuppliesandservices.com . They claim to be able to give me work for local authorities etc, and all I need to do is 'register' for £99.

Has anyone one else heard of them, or even signed up with them. Would it be quicker if I chucked £99 in the bin or do they genuinely send work?

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Dave

2. Sponsored Links
  3. htgeng

htgeng

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    sounds a con. send me £99 rather than chuck it in the bin:cool:

4. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    yes, but if you send it to me I will ensure it is spent wisely.

5. oilman

oilman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    From website:
    This means you will be competing against blokes who run half-wits who are bordering on incompetent, but they are CHEAP.

Forget it and do proper jobs.

6. OilLecky

OilLecky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dave,

In reality you would only travel so far to do a job. If you are interested in council jobs then why not search your local council web sites and find out if they post the details for companies to apply to be a supplier or even if they post "Request for Contract Bids." That's all these guys are doing for the £99.
    Don't send anyone money to try to get work!!
    I'm not interested in council work but I'll take a look for you. (If you get lots I might sub to you! :D

7. OilLecky

OilLecky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. OilLecky

OilLecky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. 1proteus

1proteus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    http://www.hcidata.co.uk/register-dot-gov-dot-uk.htm

If I have my wife on the council she can aquire a .gov site name. I know a rarish Vicar, he can make a website with .gov

The people are in-house sellers trying to find out as much as they can about you. It all sounds very convincing, they contacted me and were very keen to get £99, it's alot of money and when they say yes we can give you a password to a locked site where there may or may not be work where hundreds of others have subscribed. I could make a up a site with the same thing. Get real and forget it.If your a builder or Plumber or Electrician and you can't get enough of your own work in , then you must be doing something wrong. If you want to make some of these websites owners wealthy then go ahead and give them your money. I bet my back teeth that you will be trying to price a crap job that everybody else has turned down or it's out of hours.
    :LOL:

10. Sponsored Links
  11. aquariusxi

aquariusxi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought yo had to be registered on P.A.S.A now called network buying solutions network to be able to tender for government/council work

12. Mw Roofline

Mw Roofline

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anything .gov will have .gov at the end of the web address ;)

13. JustAnotherTradesman

JustAnotherTradesman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I signed up to find tenders in an area covering essex, surrey, london & few other counties- basically the south east. When I first signed in I found a blank screen- no tenders for my trade. I complained and they sent me a list of other trades that I could also sign up to as a way to increase the amount of tenders that would show up. No good to me as like most I have a trade not several. I asked for a refund and have been ignored. It seems my area has been widened, but this is no good to me as I don't intend to travel 400 miles go to work. It is still early into the year that I have paid for and I will update if anything good comes from this dubious service.
    javascript:emoticon(':idea:')Maybe I should be cold calling trades and selling them a tenders service, as I too have no tenders to load onto a database.

Beware others, if my experience is anything to go by.

14. Boilerman2

Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice
    I have been pestered by this organisation for a few days now
    they have a good sales pitch but something did not feel quite right!......
    having read this thread I'll put my credit card away!! :oops:

15. lordy959

lordy959

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I run an audio visual company and signed up last year, over that period i applied for about 10 of the hundred odd tenders that came through. I won 1 small one and a large contract worth about £35k so worked for me

16. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    That's fantastic, lordy, and it's very kind of you to join the forum just so you can sing the praises of a company that cold-calls.

You've completely changed my mind.

OOI, weren't the Invitations To Tender publicly advertised, as is required by law?

17. lordy959

lordy959

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i found out that stuff over 20k has to go to some european union site but stuff below doesn't.
    I did try to get one of my staff to contact all the various public sector bodies to find work but it was a darn site cheaper to pay the 100 quid as after a week of a technical bod looking he'd cost me three times that in wages!