Double dimmer running hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - first time visitor!

I have installed a double dimmer to control upstairs and downstairs hall lights.

Have I done it right? I've wired it as follows (same for each set of lights):

Red wire to ~ symbol
Yellow (with red sheath) to L1
Blue to L2

The dimmer (400W) runs pretty hot - load being 10x40W upstairs, and 10x 40W downstairs.

I'd love to know if this is the correct wiring - with this being the third switch I've tried this with!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Looks like your running at max load try taking some of the lamps out about 50% and see what happens.
The switch is rated at 400watts but this is a max value maybe try fitting 25 watt lamps.

thanks - I'll try that. You didn' mention the wiring I've done, should I take it that I've done it right, but that this is a loading problem?

Wiring seems OK, AFAICT - it looks like one end of 2-way switching circuit - what's at the other position? Just a switch, I trust, not another dimmer?

Also, are these mains lights, or ELV?

Sponsored Links
yes just a switch at the other end. And yes, mains lights (though I don't know what ELV means...)

Thanks for responding - from a cautious amateur anxious not to burn the house down 5 days before Xmas!

ELV - extra low voltage.

When used correctly "low voltage" means up to 1000V AC or 1500V DC between conductors and up to 600V AC or 900V DC between any conductor and earth. Extra-low-voltage means up to 50V AC or 120V DC, but in practice 99.999999999999% of ELV products on the market are 12V lighting systems.

Some dimmers need to be de-rated for halogen lamp use, i.e. a "400W" dimmer my not be able to handle 400W of halogens - check the small print.

It's really an issue with the surge when they start, not once they are running, though. Check it anyway, but my guess is that they are hot because they are at max load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back