Double fees for wealthy in NHS Scotland

controversial I know but I'm not convinced this is a priority for the NHS

I have a friend who's child wants her breasts removed because she wants to be a they/them. I blame TikTok.

Sponsored Links
controversial I know but I'm not convinced this is a priority for the NHS

I have a friend who's child wants her breasts removed because she wants to be a they/them. I blame TikTok.
Because it's about gender? And gender/sex has been a traditional controversial subject, even taboo not so long ago?
It's a mental- physical issue just like any other. It shouldn't be ignored just because it's about sex and gender.

If I had a nose that I considered too long, too large, too prominent, etc, should I be denied treatment if it was affecting my mental health?
If my jaw was too long, but not endangering my physical health, just my mental health, should I be denied treatment?
etc.

But I suspect you've diminished the issue, and used it as more as a troll comment by claiming it's "a child that wants her breasts removed just to be a they/them".
You are fully aware that it'll ignite yet another controversial debate. It's dog-whistle tactics.
In addition it's off-topic, just like others persistently introducing asylum seekers into all and every discussion

But hey ho, here we go...........

Last edited:
It would be better to give you some therapy to help you learn to love yourself the way you are. If you are really bothered, you can save up and pay for the surgery yourself. Is it any different to a woman who thinks her breasts are too small or a man who wants a bigger pecker? I'd prefer the NHS focused on people who need life saving treatment.

Sponsored Links
A lot of that link you posted concerns is this a real problem for a child or a result of fashion.

Must admit people of a certain type encouraging others to be the same does disturb me. I've had personal experience as I married later than many. The person who encouraged me was similar and decided to be gay. A group of people helped him come out as they put it. Prior to that he did seem to find women attractive so what's going on. Being gay allowed him to form a relationship. Gay, does that mean the rest of us are sad.

As I understand it

Talk of this making people pay in Scotland was just some thing that was thrown into the conversation / discussion

Don’t see any thing wrong in broaching the subject ??

Same as may be they should have a discussion about not encouraging people to stop smoking ?
Smokers generally die earlier so saving the state money ??
I tend to agree with this. When trying to come up with solutions, it's surely correct to put all possible options on the table and discuss the +/-

Our health and possible subsequent need for healthcare is a very subjective and emotive subject. For example, and as touched on by Transam, although it might be our legal right to stuff our bodies full of unhealthy stuff, if this leads to a requirement for prolonged use of healthcare services, is that the correct use of said services? I suppose that's why debates pop up now and again re possible solutions e.g. sugar tax.

As we continue to live longer, the need to access health and social care services is only going to grow.

This means some difficult, subjective and emotive discussions need to take place.

p.s. one thing that concerns me about a two-tier system is the policy and process. For example, let's say you're not 'wealthy' but in terms of the policy you fall into the 'must pay' bracket. So you go into hospital for x treatment and get presented with a £200 bill. Whereas people below the financial threshold will get the same treatment free? If you're paying, I wonder if you'd get a so-called gold standard service e.g. priority treatment over the non-payers? If the level of service is exactly the same for everyone, it makes having to pay a bitter pill to swallow.

It would depend on their definition of wealthy, but if you take everyone on the higher and top tax rate, these people already pay 50% of all taxes despite only accounting for about 10% of the population. So now they have to pay again. Add to that the effect of life changing illness and you could find a payer loses their high paid job due to the illness and still can't pay.

NI contributions have their "interesting" aspects.

As a for instance what if both sides applied a flat rate above the income tax threshold? This payment is intended for supporting the needy. People often seem to assume it relates to the NHS when in practice little of it does.

It would depend on their definition of wealthy, but if you take everyone on the higher and top tax rate, these people already pay 50% of all taxes despite only accounting for about 10% of the population. So now they have to pay again. Add to that the effect of life changing illness and you could find a payer loses their high paid job due to the illness and still can't pay.
Knowing the SNP, they would class anyone earning £40k+ pa as wealthy.

I'll repeat myself, if they were ever to introduce such schemes, I think those paying should receive some form of priority treatment. Going OT, but it grates against me that you can have two people in a care home. They maybe had a similar life and career, earnings etc. Person A was careful with their money and accrued a degree of savings, investments, maybe a nice property. So they pay for their care or a portion of. Person B frittered their money away and has no assets. They get their treatment paid by the taxpayer.

Knowing the SNP, they would class anyone earning £40k+ pa as wealthy.

I'll repeat myself, if they were ever to introduce such schemes, I think those paying should receive some form of priority treatment. Going OT, but it grates against me that you can have two people in a care home. They maybe had a similar life and career, earnings etc. Person A was careful with their money and accrued a degree of savings, investments, maybe a nice property. So they pay for their care or a portion of. Person B frittered their money away and has no assets. They get their treatment paid by the taxpayer.
You say 'introduce such schemes' as though they're not already available.
Newsflash: they are.
When BUPA began in the 80s there was a debate about a 'two-tier' health system and on and on we go...from what i can gather they're on about 'making' wealthy people pay for treatment to free up services for the plebs to get their op's done. Good luck with that.
It's all one big fat furry squirrel.

top tax rate, these people already pay 50% of all taxes despite only accounting for about 10% of the population.
Recent announcements say a much lower % than that. Things tend to go that way due to the numbers in each wealth group. A simplification of that is that the average person pays the biggest bulk because there are far more of them.

28% spring to my mind but don't quote me. Also the cost of reducing the top rate by 5p just doesn't ft in with your 50%.

I have done work for a millionaire for many years, he was always singing the praises of his private cover until he started getting old and have more problems, he is in the local NHS hospital now being treated for a heart attack
That's because a heart attack is an emergency situation which requires you to go to A&E. Private health insurance doesn't cover A&E.

You can't exactly hang around getting a claim form or you'd be dead!

On the other hand, if he needed a hip or knee replacement for example, you can be damn sure he'd have it done privately.

has no assets.
Maybe because they have always lived in rented accommodation. What to do with those?

Actually I met some one who earned more than enough to buy a house but rented instead. The idea -to have no assets when the time came. His wife had a pretty good job too. He lived in a nice place in a nice village and was at the point of moving into an even better property in the same village.

It's all right for people from a different time saying well I did it etc but times change and it looks like renting levels will increase anyway unless house prices crumble. I met a Finn that was really bothered by this aspect. Chances of buying a house zero. An apartment maybe.

Sponsored Links
Back