Double fees for wealthy in NHS Scotland

Maybe because they have always lived in rented accommodation. What to do with those?

Actually I met some one who earned more than enough to buy a house but rented instead. The idea -to have no assets when the time came. His wife had a pretty good job too. He lived in a nice place in a nice village and was at the point of moving into an even better property in the same village.

It's all right for people from a different time saying well I did it etc but times change and it looks like renting levels will increase anyway unless house prices crumble. I met a Finn that was really bothered by this aspect. Chances of buying a house zero. An apartment maybe.
You're cherry picking from the scenario I posted. In my scenario, yes person B rented as opposed to owning, however they also frittered away their income. My underlying point is this. Why should one person have to pay for their care simply because they've been cautious with their money over the decades, and yet someone else (who earned the same) frittered theirs away over the decades. So more of their care gets funded by the taxpayer.

Maybe the best idea is as you say, try to plan everything so you don't have assets when going into your dotage.

You're careful with your money, government says 'we'll take some of that, and some more, and some more.' You blow it all on whatever, government says 'the taxpayer will cover your costs, don't worry.'

Something's not right in that equation, not to me anyway.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the best idea is as you say, try to plan everything so you don't have assets when going into your dotage.
But when you are paying, like private and council housing, if you have put money away to provide for your care, you can decide on the quality and location of the care home that you want to go into. Some private ones are like 5 star hotels. Some council ones are terrible and stink of pyss. What one do you think those that have no savings get put into?

I would be happy to pay £10 for seeing the GP.

I haven't been to my doctor's for a couple of years, but in the last few times I had been the waiting room was chock full of foreigners. Years ago that same waiting room had never more than 10 people at any one time.

As we all know, these foreigners are only here for the free stuff, and so a £10 fee would clear the waiting room back to manageable levels.

Sponsored Links
We'll see a lot of this if we gain 'independence' as they'll need to plug the financial shortfalls somehow. Thing is, many folk that will vote for 'independence' won't have to worry cause they either don't work and/or they're often on the lower financial rungs, hence the 'independence' rhetoric appealing to them.

What's also quite interesting about this is, I wonder what they'd class 'wealthy' as. Knowing this shower, it'll be anyone earning above £40k a year ...
Yes but on the upside imagine the boost to the economy with unlimited immigration.

There is a huge problem with people demanding appointments that don't need them. My wife works in a health centre and they get half a dozen people a week asking for doctor appointments because their arms are sore after a covid booster + many, many more trivial things.

Secondly, the NHS has gone downhill rapidly since nurses were required to hold nursing degrees. This idea was brought about by the nursing unions as a long term plan to raise the professional status of nurses. I have no problem with raising the status of nurses but this was the wrong way to go about it as it excludes many people from the profession. Much nursing work does not require degree level knowledge. In the old days there were several tiers of nurses and this should be brought back. There are thousands that would love to do nursing work but either don't have the means or the desire to do a degree.

Why not? Brexiteers wanted a best of three, then decided they wanted to stick after 2.
And brexiteers will be going for 'best of five' when the next one goes against them...

They have such a rabid xenophobic view that they cannot understand that all they have done is vote against their and all our interests...

But hey, the majority of them won't be able to vote by the end of the decade and order will be restored!

In the old days there were several tiers of nurses and this should be brought back.
There still are.
Your comments about qualifications are misleading as well. The NHS do have care types around. These are not nurses.

That's because a heart attack is an emergency situation which requires you to go to A&E. Private health insurance doesn't cover A&E.

You can't exactly hang around getting a claim form or you'd be dead!

On the other hand, if he needed a hip or knee replacement for example, you can be damn sure he'd have it done privately.
Not the only issue he had to go to NHS with after his private scheme did not cover

Sponsored Links
Back