Double insulated light fitting into earthed ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a double insulated light into a ceiling rose that has an earth wire in it. The earth wire comes out of the ceiling and into what looks like a metal chock block. From what I am reading, it states that a double insulated light should not be earthed.

Is it safe to wire this light into a ceiling rose that has an earth circuit built in or do I need to replace the ceiling rose as well.?

I've read posts where people have suggested taping up the unused earth wire and putting it into a chock block, but this earth wire is in a metal chock block already.

Thanks in advance,

Emma

Sponsored Links
Wiring a light into a ceiling rose?

Can you post pictures of the light fitting please?

as securespark says a picture is invaluable but a class 11 fitting should need not be earthed rather than must not be earthed. so notwithstanding the picture then terminate the cpc(earth) with a sleeving of pvc green and yellow and with a plastic/pvc block connector. Do you you have any cpc continuity anyway?

I duno this CPC lark why we have to americanise these things what was wrong with good old EARTH and Black being a neutral oh well maybe im just old....

Anyway to the orginal question Its double insulated it doesnt require an earth, I often use these in situations where it is simply impractical to supply an earth to the fitting and i leave a sticker on the CCU stating double insulated fittings mustbe used in that area

However.. Wall light on a cealing Bad Bad Bad idea and serious potencial fire risk many wall lights have their heat shield / reflector in the wrong place for this to work and also some of them will not be able disipate the heat properly Iv seen them totaly melted in the past

Sponsored Links
However.. Wall light on a cealing Bad Bad Bad idea and serious potencial fire risk many wall lights have their heat shield / reflector in the wrong place for this to work and also some of them will not be able disipate the heat properly Iv seen them totaly melted in the past

All well and good, but the OP made no mention of the Class II fitting being a wall light.
So where have you got that from?

I duno this CPC lark why we have to americanise these things what was wrong with good old EARTH and Black being a neutral
"Americanisation" would give us black being live and white being neutral.... ;)

All well and good, but the OP made no mention of the Class II fitting being a wall light.
So where have you got that from?

Hmm it seems i must have miss read :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back