double socket to several?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a double wall socket that get's plenty of use. All double connectors stuck in there etc. It's not safe and it looks bloody ugly :eek:

What I'd like to do is add a few more double sockets, maybe 4 more to give me a total of 10 positions. I'm OK with DIY and done a bit of basic wiring, so I'm confident I could do this job if it's acceptable!?

So what I'm asking is: Is it OK to run some more doubles off the existing one? ... if it is ... how do I do it?

Hoping some kind soul will help :)

Mick

Sponsored Links
What sort of stuff are you planning on running from these sockets?

Is it for household electronic equipment like TVs and computers, or more like washers and driers in the kitchen?

you can add(spur) another double off the existing double if the existing is connected on the ring final. If the existing only has one cable going into it then what is the fuse/mcb rating on that circuit and what size cable is it?

If it is a ring final then you can add more than one double if you add a fused connection unit at 13A.

Where in the house is this?

Thanks for the reply. It will be stuff like, phone, wireless router, door bell, unit lights etc. No heavy stuff like washing machines ... but I do expect I'll plug the vacum in there occassionly

Mick

Sponsored Links
The double socket I'd like to replace is in the dining room ... sorry but I'm not sure about the other questions

Mick

First thing to do is look at the circuit in the fuse box and determine the fuse size. If it's 30 or 32A then you may have a ring. Make sure the floor area where the circuit is being used won't exceed 100sqm. Next disconnect the power and remove the socket. Seperate each pair of wires and use a multimeter to measure resistance between pairs. You'll get a lowish reading such as 0.5 ohms. Neutral and live should be the same (ish) and earth should be a bit more.

If you don't get readings like this, then your socket may not be suitable to use.

If it is suitable, the best way is to continue the ring. Connect the new cable to one of the existing two cables using crimps and then run the cable to each of your new sockets in a configuration which leaves the last leg back at the old socket. All sockets will have two cables in each, including the old one which also has the crimped connection.

Make sure that the new resistance reading with new sockets connected isn't high. Ring final circuits don't often go much over 1 ohm. If it is, you may have done something wrong or you may need extra work doing.

Does this circuit have RCD protection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back