Downlight bulb replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I require help/advice on how to replace spot/downlights in our landing. We have just moved in to a new house, which was built in 2006 and the light fittings are flush within the ceiling, but the actual bulbs are not (i.e. further lower than fitting). The bulbs themselves are in a very tight fit.
I need to replace some bulbs but cannot remove the originals from the fitting in the ceiling. Firstly, I don't know whether they are screws or bayonets. Secondly, I have tried blu-tac, suctions etc etc but cannot seem to remove the bulbs at all. I don't wish to apply to much pressure on the top of the bulbs (the only area of the bulb with access), as I am afraid of cracking the glass.
Please can anyone advise on how I can remove these very tight bulbs?

Thanks

Red

Sponsored Links
Could you post a photo of one of the fittings? This sounds a little unusual.....

Pictures are a bit blurry, but it looks like a standard GU10 or MR16 bulb to me, and there is a metal retaining clip in front of it. Looks like the 2 metal bits on the right of the last photo.... you squeeze then together a bit, and the ring pops out and the bulb comes down on its own

Sponsored Links
Pictures are a bit blurry, but it looks like a standard GU10 or MR16 bulb to me, and there is a metal retaining clip in front of it. Looks like the 2 metal bits on the right of the last photo.... you squeeze then together a bit, and the ring pops out and the bulb comes down on its own

Hi Pal,

Yes, there is a ring which pops out but the bulb remains tightly in place.
Not sure if the bulb is bayonet or screw so am a little reluctant to add a lot of pressure when trying to remove it in case it cracks....

Red

It looks like GU10 or MR16 which is not fixed in any way other than the ring!

I have seen some where the bulb has sort of stuck itself to the casing, a right pain to get out! I would suggest gently prying the bulb with a screwdriver, or bit of plastic. Once it moves a bit, it will probably just fall out......

It looks like GU10 or MR16 which is not fixed in any way other than the ring!

I have seen some where the bulb has sort of stuck itself to the casing, a right pain to get out! I would suggest gently prying the bulb with a screwdriver, or bit of plastic. Once it moves a bit, it will probably just fall out......

Hey Phats,

Just gave it a go by removing clip and using the thinest tool from a Precision Screwdriver set, but there is absolutely no room between the recess fitting and the side of the bulb.
However, I have just done an image search of the two bulbs which you think they might be and now understand that I have tried to remove it incorrectly (i.e. not bayonet nor screw). I will try again with either a suction tool or blue-tac but this time simply try and pull away !

Thanks for your help pal

Red

The lamps might have GU5.3 bases, i.e. just straight pins, so they pull out, or GU10 which will need a slight turn first.

Q to those with wide experience - if it has a retaining ring is it not highly likely to be a GU5.3? i.e. would you need a retaining ring with a GU10 bayonet, as the lamp can't work loose under gravity?

RedHP - if you still can't get it to come out easily you might do, or risk, less damage if you pop the whole fitting out of the ceiling so that you can see more of what's going on. After you've done one you'll be much better equipped to replace them in situ in the future.

Q to those with wide experience - if it has a retaining ring is it not highly likely to be a GU5.3? i.e. would you need a retaining ring with a GU10 bayonet, as the lamp can't work loose under gravity?

The GU10 fittings I installed have the GU10 holder on fly-leads, so the holder can be dropped below the fitting, the bulb 'clicked' into the holder, and then returned to the fitting and held in with the metal ring

The metal ring for GU10's is more the twist and drop retainer rather than the sprung metal ring used for 5.3's, with two springy metal clips to hold the lamp onto the ring

Is that what you mean?

They look more like GU10 lamps, as others have said squeeze to two metal prongs together and remove the retaining clip. If it is the same as the ones I have seen the lamp will drop down with a lampholder on a flying (heat resistant) lead.
If it is GU10 the lamp holder needs to be rotated from the lamp to allow the lamp to be removed, then reverse procedure to replace.
(Make sure it is switched off first or you'll be seeing dots in front of your eyes for ages :LOL: and risk of getting a shock)

Thanks guys, as an Accountant with basic DIY skills I really appreciate all your professional responses :oops:

Red

Before the advent of enclosed fittings a lot of wholesalers sold the same fitting body and supplied you with either G 5.3 or Gu10 floating lampholders to your preference.
So the clip was essential to retain the lamp with either type

After clip removal, tapping the lamp with a screwdriver handle sometimes dislodges the lamp and it drops down, failing that drop the fitting and push lamp from behind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back