downlighters in sloping ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.

i've searched for this subject and there have been questions asked before but I couldnt find a specific answer to solve my problem.

I am building a dormer bungalow and wanted to install downlighters in the sloping area of the ceiling upstairs to illuminate a stair case.

Are there any regulations that govern the above and any 'best practice' applied.

I understand that the rafter height may not allow sufficent ventilation for downlighters so are there any alternative models on the market that don't get as hot but provide the same affect.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not go with some GU10 spot lamps. That kills off the heat issue and allows for more bespoke lamp light positioning.

I have a few of these on the slop fac of the loft conversion:-

FL7001CH.JPG

£11.25 each from TLC

hi there

good advice from chri5

Also if you do want to fit spots, being a new ceiling or extension you will need to use firerated spotlights, there are various types when you know the ones you want the instructions from the manufacturer will tell you how much clearance will be required from insulation and joists

Sponsored Links
I have been through this with building control also (re dwellings).
One wants hoods in compartment ceilings, another doesn't!

However on a sloping roof there is no room above so what would be the point??

Once again, building control are not the omniscient organisation they ought to be, regarding the regulations.

Strictly, by all the prevailing regs, fire-rated downlights are rarely necessary, but JCC's fully enclosed, intumescent, fire and acoustic, you-can't-bend-it DLs are so cheap and well put-together that it would be a false economy not to use them. (About £6 + VAT)

rf lighting

strange but maybe your building control works differently in leeds, all of our local councils will not sign off unless firerated spots are installed they specifically ask the question and check, also on last nic visit that inspector asked for confirmation they were fitted, ok they take up more room in the void but are invareably safer than putting up a standard gu1o fitting

Pdenni - all LABCs enforce the regs in the way that they see fit. (They are allowed to do this). Rightly or wrongly, this often comes down to the preference (and ignorance) of individual inspectors.

In one area of Leeds I have to install sockets and switches in accordance with one bit of Part M (ignoring the other requirements of this part) in properties that are expressly excluded from those provisions.

pdenni said:
rf lighting

strange but maybe your building control works differently in leeds, all of our local councils will not sign off unless firerated spots are installed they specifically ask the question and check, also on last nic visit that inspector asked for confirmation they were fitted, ok they take up more room in the void but are invareably safer than putting up a standard gu1o fitting
o is a letter o.
0 is a numerical 0.

Back on topic . . . fire hoods are NOT required unless the ceiling must be fire rated. This only occurs domestically between dwellings, and between the garage and any habitable room above it. Therefore in a house without a garage, NO fire hoods are nessecary.

And I dont see how fire rated fittings are any safer than non-fire rated. Think about it. Non fire rated fitings allow the heat to escape. Fire rated fittings enclose the lamp, causing excessive heat buildup. This is surely LESS safe. And it shortens lamp life. :(

crafty

As i stated earlier it is a matter of location and local building control, in leeds you say they r not required in and around london suburbs its a prerequisit they are fitted.
Fair point on the safety issue but like with all things new they get asked to be installed without any in location testing so results will be proven by how many buildings burn down.

Dont you guys have the guts to argue with the inspector? :LOL: Take your reg book with you. :LOL:

Haha!

I did that over the numerous invented regs that the builder I was subbing for was being asked to comply with.

I quoted (in writing) whole paragraphs from BS7671 and four or five sections of the Building Regs, to no avail.

My gaff, my rules, was the response.

Luckily, we all saw the funny side. ;)

as someone somewhen said ours is not to reason why, just fit it and get paid is probably a better upto date analogy.

thanks for all the advise so far

The clearance that I am dealing with is about 7" (from face of plasterboard to underside of felt).

Any opinions welcomed as to wether this is sufficent for downlighters.

thanks again

By the time you have fitted your insulation you won't have room for downlights and also there will be no room for any heat to escape to!

Surface lights, as suggested, can look quite good:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back