Downlighters in thermal insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got called to a job today where the MCB for the upstairs lights was tripping as soon as the bathroom lights were switched on.

I found three ELV downlighters completely surrounded in thermal insulation.

I found the fault was a cable which had been toasted due to being ontop of the DL lamp, and there being no where for the heat to go.

dl3.jpg

dl4.jpg

There is a clue to how hot these lights have been getting as the actual fittings have melted, and the plasterboard disintegrated around them :eek: :eek:

dl1.jpg

dl2.jpg

(Sorry about the picture quality. I only had my camera phone with me)

Sponsored Links
seen a few cast ones distorted recently, never realised how hot they actually get, surprised theres not more fires.

can see things getting worse with all this insulation being pushed.

But you just try and tell people not to install them... :evil:

I really cannot understand why halogen MR16 lamps, both LV and ELV were not the first ones to be banned.

I've seen a good few similar situations recently, albeit not as severe. I put down these installs as at risk, advise the customers not to use them and leave a letter. As I leave, I see the lights being turned back on.

:rolleyes:

My favourite is the downlighter cut into the joist.

Or downlighters with plastic pipe and/or cable immediately above them: at least there's a ready-made sprinkler system to put it out when it does go up...

Sponsored Links
I made the mistake of having ELV's fitted in the lounge, kitchen, hallways and shower room plus bathrooms in our bungalow, 49 in total.

We have had one very small fire above the kitchen ceiling where the sparks had used a chock block instead a jb. It was found under the 270mm of insulation. The block and cable to the transformer had been alight scorching the plasterboard as in your photo's.

Heatloss from the "ventilated" ceilings into the roof space is massive because of the need to keep the insulation away from these fittings we want to replace them but what with? LED's plus drivers £££

Why not use these, this is showing only one half of the cover for illustration purposes;
JC94020A.JPG

do any of these covers successfully keep the transformer away from both the downlighter and the insulation?

of course nowadays they tend to use insulation between floors ie between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor of new houses. also between the suspended plasterboard ceiling and concrete slabs of new blocks of flats.

What sort of person would allow the situation to get as bad as in those photos?! Aesthetically, it looks absolutely p*ss-poor, you'd think that would have been enough to make most people sort out the problem well before things got to the stage where the circuit ceased to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back