Drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, quick one.
Can this drain cock be directly connected to a 15mm copper pipe with nut and olive on the thread?
To be clear: can I insert a 15mm pipe at the bottom and use a nut and olive to make a compression joint?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, they’re designed for a female thread, eg a cylinder.

Ok.
So I just need a standard one to connect with a compression coupler.
Just wondering: these will go on the lowest point of my central heating system next time I drain it.
Would you use full bore service valves (or other kind of valve?) instead with a short piece of copper pipe where to connect a hose when draining?
If not, why not?

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks.

One more question if I may.
As the system is all in hep2o, can I use this

And then this

I’m not au fait with a lot of Hep fittings, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Ok, thanks.
2 more questions please.
1. Do I use ptfe tape or ptfe liquid on the thread? What's the best way?
2. I know that type A drain cocks are better, but what's your favourite brand?
Do they do a full bore?

Thanks

I see 4 question marks :LOL: ptfe tape personally. I don’t have a favourite brand, not sure about full bore.

Eventually I found that I can simply use a compression nut and olive on the threaded male drain cock.
So I don't need the hep2o female adaptor.
Do you agree?

If the makers designed it like that, a clever move.

Does it have a bevelled seating to fit the olive and pipe?

As for full bore, you can buy a different type of valve, not a drain cock. Read the spec to ensure it will withstand high temperatures. I got a Pegler one with a hose nozzle on the outlet. Something like this apart from the nozzle.

Eventually I found that I can simply use a compression nut and olive on the threaded male drain cock.
So I don't need the hep2o female adaptor.
Do you agree?
Sorry, I was totally wrong on this.
There's no flange on the drain cock to accept the olive.
I'll stick to the plan of the female adaptor.
Some liquid thread seal should make a good seal, I use that on garden taps and never had a problem.
After all, I won't be dismantling that joint again any time soon.

Just get one of these & stick a straight coupler on the end of the HEP then push this in the other end

I'm just about sure the solder end is long enough, though may be wrong now that I think of it :unsure:

Is a drain cock in some way "better" than other types of valve? They seem rather a nuisance to me.

1. They have the spigot for the hose pipe already built in.
2. They are tamper resistant in comparison with other types of valve.

Or fit a lever valve, remove the handle and cable tie it to the valve, also you can fit a compression cap on the end of the valve.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back