Drain full of water

Manhole you have opened looks rather clean to me to be foul or combined drainage, I suspect you may have separate systems, i.e. toilets, baths etc into the foul sewer, and rainwater into the storm drains. Run some water down the other (kitchen) gulley), does this back up or does it keep running away?

If this runs clear, then problem is likely in either the rainwater gulley, or system beyond it. Looks t me like an 'Osma' Bottle gulley. Remove the grating, you should see a 'shoulder' sticking out into the pot, in the top of the shoulder is a rubber plug. Carefully remove that, if water drains through the hole, problem is probably the pot is full of crud, clean out, replace plug and test with hosepipe.

Sponsored Links
This is at my parent's house. My dad who had a stroke told me about a drain ( where arrow is in picture) . Is this where the water should flow? It's in middle of drive to left of car. Should I indo the screws and lift this up?
YES ! Also you could use Yellow dye to trace the drains

Last edited by a moderator:
Dyno Rod are here. And not cheap ! You need a sewage man.

Last edited:
1. thats not the "kitchen drain", its for the bathroom bath or shower - why, because its coming out of the wall so low down, possibly under the FFL (see air brick). whereas most kitchen sink wastes come out at trap level.
2. the window glass above the gulley is obscure glass ie. bathroom glass.
3. imo, its always a good & safe idea to wear gloves down any gullies.
4. i suggested removing "any debris" from both gulley traps - not clearing the blockage.

foxhole,
i dont know whats happened here but when i posted the above i included a note to you foxhole saying it was a fwiw item, not a having a go at you item?
the explanatory note has been removed - go figure?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP,
yes, raise the manhole cover and then post a pic of whats down the hole, if you would?
still dont know where your S&VP/WC is located?

Looking at the picture with the manhole position in the driveway marked, possibly something behind the side extension, going up the wall to just under the eaves, that may be the soil vent. Would make sense if the drain goes up the side of the house, not sure if there's another WC in the property.

Is the front drain connected to the kitchen drain?
Does the kitchen drain - drain properly?

Just get ya marigolds on and feel down the blocked one, siphon some water out first.
Not sure. The front room that the downpipe runs down is just a bedroom so no bathroom or kitchen the other side of the wall. The kitchen is at the other end of the house.

Last edited:
Looking at the picture with the manhole position in the driveway marked, possibly something behind the side extension, going up the wall to just under the eaves, that may be the soil vent. Would make sense if the drain goes up the side of the house, not sure if there's another WC in the property.

The blocked drain is in picture in red on the corner.

There's another drain behind a toilet. Not sure if that's blocked
Screenshot_20200320-114837_Gallery.jpg

OP,
to save all this to-ing and fro-ing - get it jetted as advised above.
call a local plumber who drain cleans with a jetter.
just show the plumber the location of all gullies and manholes - you dont need to lift any covers.
show the plumber the location of your kitchen, bathroom and WC. then leave them to it.

jetting is far more efficient than rodding.

presumably your parents are still occupying the house so drainage clearance is urgent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back