Drain full of water

Still got half a suspicion that's just a rainwater gulley where the issue is, and either the pot is full of crud or it goes to a soakaway, which is now waterlogged and effectively useless.

Sponsored Links
maybe its just a matter of terminology or more likely i've missed something but
in that residential bungalow with mains drainage, where would an "interceptor" be positioned, and what for?

Last edited:
Hugh Jaleak,
the rainwater gulley is definitely blocked in the pic but why, if thats "the issue", why is the still water apparently semi-blocked in the manhole at the gate?

Last edited:
Storm drains can silt up, root ingress, have a belly in the pipe, and also depends on the velocity of flow, condition of pipework etc, anything could cause standing water. Been out jetting storm drains before now with a combi unit, and we've struggled to make any headway, the drain was choked solid.

Without tracing the drain by some method, we have absolutely no idea where it may run.

An 'Interceptor' or 'Buchan Trap' is usually positioned at the outlet of the last manhole before the boundary, where the house drain connects to the main sewer. The Victorians invented them, as a method of sealing off the house drains from the main sewer. Plenty still out there. most are a PITA as they block easily, making the effluent back up slightly, (but then it escapes put the rodding eye above the outlet), until eventually the whole system bungs up and its fun and games to clear... Although I have to say, it would be unusual I'd think to see an interceptor in a property of that era, looks too new.

drain-interceptor-trap-diagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
thank you for your explanations but, with respect, i already know all that.
my queries were regarding why you both came to certain conclusions?

as i had previously said, and as you agree, why would an Interceptor trap be installed in that modern bungalow?

i had mentioned that the "storm drain" was semi-blocked.
your suggestion that it's debris from the gulley sounds right.
so your jetting rig would probably blast that particular blockage well clear.

i wonder why any possible cover at the junction of the gulley drain & storm drain has not been mentioned by the OP?

If you already know then why ask? Jetting it could shift any blockage, but again, you need to be jetting upstream and pulling any debris back to you, so would need to be on site to ascertain the runs, and find a suitable downstream chamber to work from.

Again, without being on site and tracing the drain runs, none of us has any idea where they go, it's all assumption and guesswork. The storm sewer in the Highway could easily just be for Highway Drainage, if they property had a surface water connection I'd expect it to be in that manhole, although not impossible it could be on a blind lateral.

First thing I'd be doing it cleaning out the affected gulley pot, if the water still doesn't drain, then start lifting manhole covers and trying to trace the drain runs.

i framed my questions in a specific and reasonable way to show that i wasn't asking for a general explanation but for specific answers to specific questions - in essence i was asking why an Interceptor had been mentioned at all, what information was used to draw that conclusion?
and where, in that modern bungalow, would this interceptor be located to make drainage sense?

you, for your own reasons or due to a misunderstanding launched into the explanations. whereas i wanted to know "if thats the issue" your evidence for connecting the blocked gulley with the manhole drainage?

fwiw: your term "blind lateral" is new and useful to me - i'm used to using the term laterals but "blind lateral" sums it up exactly. thank you.

some of what you say above i had already covered in my March 11th & 12th posts.

Your use of quotation marks indicates to me you were questioning the terminology, hence why I tried to explain in terms that anyone reading the post might understand. One thing I've learned with drainage over the last 30 years is never assume anything, so the question of whether an interceptor was present, although unlikely, remains valid.

Frankly, apart from that I dont know what you are trying to achieve other than confuse the issue and put other contributors backs up.

i'm not trying to achieve anything. why do you ask?
i do tend to chase down pretentious ego trippers, and the blissfully ignorant - why, because OP's deserve accurate & safe answers. so do all those who follow the forums, the silent majority.
and i do like to get to the roots of posts that interest me -
i find that i learn much - esp when i'm wrong.

how you imagined that i was questioning your terminology simply because i was using quotation marks i dont know - wherever quotation marks are used then, with few exceptions, context is everything.

as for never assuming anything about drainage - then on any given day you would dig every possible run on the bizarre possibility that someone had set an interceptor in the system? you would privilege your assumptions over thinking through the relevant factors?
i wouldn't.

i'm sure that have noticed the little creeps - the ones who do free style slime crawling? well just imagine that if they all crossed the viral bar at once then they could all be buried together in a matchbox?

no need to confirm your place in the match box - always space for gorps that lack wit and laugh aimlessly.

I think you will find that the 'guys' that do this sort of work have a very good sense of humour.

In or out of the 'match box'. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Me - gawps in amazement :eek: then google, my only friend, tells me that gorps are aliens from a 1990's childrens TV programme. I certainly do learn much from DiyNot. I do consider myself eligible for an antique vesta case though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back