Drilled into wire, how immediate of a fix is required?

Why were you drilling a hole in the wall in the first place?

Why would you need to know that?

He was drilling in a location where there was no reason to expect any cable to be, just like thousands of people do every day without any problem.

Sponsored Links
Why were you drilling a hole in the wall in the first place?

What else are you supposed to do on a Monday afternoon?

The chap has been and gone a while ago. There was little-to-no slack in the cable. On inspection he said that the core was undamaged, and I'd just stripped the insulation from the live.

What he did was to separate the live, crimp that, and leave the earth/neutral unbroken (the insulation was undamaged on those - although I appreciate that the earth is unsheathed). He said that this would provide piece of mind. He's then wrapped the lot in tape.

I've got a niggling feeling that there's something not right about that. I wonder what people's thoughts are.

Sounds like a pragmatic solution that doesn't require taking off big chunks of plasterboard. Consider fitting something to remind you not to drill there again!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, didn't know you were a complete ****. And you expect help when you talk to people like that?
That's quite enough of that.

Look Mottie, I understood why you asked why was he was drilling a hole.

You simply wanted to know what he was doing, and if his project would help in repairing the damaged cable.

Not everyone understood what you were getting at, so no reason to call the op a ****.

What else are you supposed to do on a Monday afternoon?

The chap has been and gone a while ago. There was little-to-no slack in the cable. On inspection he said that the core was undamaged, and I'd just stripped the insulation from the live.

What he did was to separate the live, crimp that, and leave the earth/neutral unbroken (the insulation was undamaged on those - although I appreciate that the earth is unsheathed). He said that this would provide piece of mind. He's then wrapped the lot in tape.

I've got a niggling feeling that there's something not right about that. I wonder what people's thoughts are.

Nothing wrong with that at all should be fine.

Fix the plasterboard back and carry on.

Doesn't sound it took the guy very long to repair it.

Good luck with the rest of your project

Crimp it with what ?

I would have just seperated it a little from the other two wires and may be squoosh some hot melt glue on it or paint some epoxy resin on it, then plastered the hole back up - would that be a satisfactory approach ?

Why would you need to know that?
I've already explained that and my question was perfectly relevant but it was deleted by a mod as was his reply to me but you don't see any red message from the mod to his post.

Crimp it with what ?

I would have just seperated it a little from the other two wires and may be squoosh some hot melt glue on it or paint some epoxy resin on it, then plastered the hole back up - would that be a satisfactory approach ?

I assumed a blue butt connector suitable for 27amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back