Drilling hole in porcelain for 1/2" pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a neater way I can cut a hole into a porcelain tile than what I did below?

It's for a hand held shower connection which is a 1/2" thread. The square hole does get covered by the fitting but I think a neater hole would get a better seal. I tried drilling a 6mm hole and burnt out the bit.

Thanks

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

Sponsored Links
you need a diamond coated core bit, water cooled , drill going at low speed and not on hammer .and patience cos it is not quick. you can get water cooling kit ,but not worth buying for one off job. just keep water dripping onto it .

I've seen a tiler use an electric jigsaw on the back of the tile to shape it.

It is worth a go.

Andy

Andy was that on porcelain tiles ,they are extremely hard .

Sponsored Links
thats most likely .I was asked ,a few years ago now ,to put up 7 or 8 wall hung base and wall units in a large bathroom tiled with grade 2 porcelain tiles .so I had to drill 4 holes for each cabs brackets, about 30 holes total, thru the tiles ,then into brickwork for plugs / screws. I wore out 3 diamond core bits ( 8 mm diam) ,it took 2 hours to drill the holes and it's the most boring thing to do .

I'll drill a 20mm hole in a piece of ply that's big enough to kneel on. Top tip, thanks!!

Well thanks very much to you all, the tool came yesterday and made light work of the tile.

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

A nice neat job, thanks again x x x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back